MASON-INTEREST-L Archives

September 2006

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2006 13:53:19 -0400
From:
To: MASON Multiagent Simulation Toolkit <[log in to unmask]>
On Sep 28, 2006, at 6:20 AM, Günther Greindl wrote:

> One more thing: what I certainly intend to do is distribute the
> simulation
> in a second step (long term goal); if I use cognitive agents, there
> will be no
> other way to do simulation sensibly - does MASON lend itself easily
> to this?

MASON, like RePast and Swarm, was designed as a single-process
simulation toolkit.  We use MASON primarily in a parallel experiment
context -- running hundreds of parallel MASON runs on a back-end
server for optimization.  MASON does not have built-in support for
distribution of a single experiment over multiple processors with
message-passing or whatnot.  It *does* have built-in support for SIMD
multiprocessing, that is, multiple threads in shared memory spread
over multiple processors.  The relevant items are the
AsynchronousSteppable and ParallelSequence objects.

> I know that you can add distributed support to Repast Models quite
> easily.

Gunther, could you elaborate on this?