ECJ-INTEREST-L Archives

February 2014

From:
Raymond Shpeley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2014 12:08:39 -0500
On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 21:28:47 -0500, Sean Luke <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Did I tell you the one about how I reported to Sun, back in 2002 I think, that
ArrayList's get(), set(), and add() methods were not inlinable, and this could be
fixed by moving a single line in the code?  As a result for ten years ArrayList
has been 5x slower than it needed to be.  They never fixed this: it's still
broken.  But the Hotspot crew has special-cased it internally to compensate.

>We have collections here and there as necessary.  But yeah, ECJ tends to
work with arrays.

>Sean

Nope. Yeah, I know what that's like. Shortly after DOS Microsoft took control
of all hardware and software vectors. Fair enough in a sense, but they provided
no mechanism for high speed access. At first they wouldn't even give us a
hook. It messed up our nicely performing frame animation code. By the time
they provided high performance hooks I wasn't developing software animation
any more.

-- ray