MASON-INTEREST-L Archives

March 2015

From:
Luís de Sousa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 2015 21:00:54 +0100
Hi everyone,

One of the very first documents I read on Git stated something like:
"switching from SVN to Git is like going from black-and-white to
colour TV, once you have it you will not want to go back". If then
this was not so clear, today it makes a lot of sense. Would Git be an
improvement to a project like MASON? Certainly, for instance, having
the contrib packages as sub-modules would greatly ease their usage.
Would Git ease the life for its maintainers? This is not so clear,
perhaps not.

I have migrated a few big projects from SVN to Git, I can help with it
if necessary.

Regarding code hosting I would not advise an in-house option. First
because it increases risks of stalling the project, secondly because
there is the social dimension to tap in a code sharing platform. I
know GitHub the best, so that's what I would advise (either with Git
or SVN). Things like patches are way more fun in GitHub than through
the mail list.

Still, if the decision goes for in-housing hosting I would advise
Redmine. It might take some work to install, but once running it is
pretty light on maintenance.

Regards,

Luís