MASON-INTEREST-L Archives

March 2015

From:
Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 2015 13:53:15 -0400
http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2015/03/farewell-to-google-code.html

Google Code is going away this coming year.  This means that ECJ and MASON repositories will have to migrate, sometime before the summer, to another hosting site.  I'm thinking about where we ought to go.

Some history.  ECJ and MASON were originally released as tarballs only here at GMU.  Then we moved to SourceForge under CVS. We soured on SourceForge following some long service outages and bad administration, and jumped ship to JavaDev (run by Sun) under SVN.  When Oracle took over Sun, JavaDev's days were numbered.  So we jumped to Google Code under SVN and have been happy there since.

Some obvious options would be GitHub, BitBucket, SourceForge, and just using our own repository here at GMU.

	- GitHub.  Big mindshare.  Negatives (for me): it's git only.  I'm definitely not a fan of git.
	- BitBucket.  Negatives: free only for five committers per project.
	- SourceForge.  Big mindshare.  SVN, Mercurial available in addition to git.  Negatives: we soured on it way back when.  Nightmare of advertisements and gunk.
	- Roll our own.  We can do whatever we want.  Negatives: I get to be the administrator.  :-(

ECJ and MASON are largely cathedral and so have never needed the features a DCVS provides; and in this situation a DVCS just results in extra unnnecessary steps, often long ones, to do commits and updates.  I'd prefer to stay with SVN, but could be convinced to move to mercurial.

Any other suggestions?