ECJ-INTEREST-L Archives

April 2014

Sender:
From:
Raymond Shpeley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2014 00:43:56 -0400
I've been doing testing and am limited by the memory issue with strong typing.
I'm moving my code over to one of our university's blade servers to get more
resources.

I have a week before I make my presentation, so any advice on this issue, or
tuning GP in general will be greatly appreciated.

Things which would help...
 - getting stats into a format for R -- what works best
 - picking which stats convey information better for a dumbed down audience
 - tuning the fitness function (I have 6 figures of merit)
 - controlling bloat without reducing variance too much

This is a school timetable app. There are primarily 3 parts to the timetable:
rooms, timeslots and course offerings. Then there are constraints which include
instructor availability, room purpose, and curriculum concurrency, among
others.

The terminal set is 3 ERCs, one each for the 3 parts of the timetable. Then one
ERC join function restricted to one of each ERC type, and a generic join
restricted to ERC join types. Generally, this is an optimisation problem where
one needs to find the right sets of ERCs which satisfy the constraints. I have
plans to extend the tree with a conditional function later if I have time.

-- ray