HISTPHD-L Archives

January 2012

HISTPHD-L@LISTSERV.GMU.EDU

From:
Rana FitzGerald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 30 Jan 2012 15:41:50 -0500
From: Amareswar Galla [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2012 2:45 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Call for Papers: Inclusive Museum Conference, Cave Hill, Barbados, 2 - 5 August 2012

Dear Colleague,

On behalf of the Advisory Board, we would like to inform you of the:

FIFTH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON THE INCLUSIVE MUSEUM
University of the West Indies, Cave Hill, Barbados
2 to 5 August 2012
http://www.OnMuseums.com/Conference/

At this time of fundamental social change, what is the role of the museum, both as a creature of that change, and perhaps also as an agent of change? The International Conference on the Inclusive Museum is a place where museum practitioners, researchers, thinkers and teachers can engage in discussion on the historic character and future shape of the museum. The key question of the conference is 'How can the institution of the museum become more inclusive?'

Known for its beaches and beautiful waters, Barbados has some of the most important historical landmarks and museums in the Caribbean. From the longest functioning windmill in the Caribbean to the Nidhe Israel Museum and neighboring synagogue, which greatly influenced the economic history of the island, Barbados is home to many museums and historical treasures making it ideal for the Inclusive Museum Conference.

The year's conference includes the following plenary speakers:

* Lonnie G. Bunch, III, Founding Director, Smithsonian's National Museum of African American History and Culture, Washington D.C., USA
* Alissandra Cummins, Past President of ICOM; Director, Barbados Museums and Historical Society, Barbados
* Jose do Nascimento Junior, President of the Brazilian Institute of Museums - IBRAM, Brasilia, Brazil

http://OnMuseums.com/Conference-2012/Plenary-Speakers/ .

In addition, the conference will include numerous paper, workshop and colloquium presentations by practitioners, teachers and researchers. Presenters may choose to submit written papers for publication in The International Journal of the Inclusive Museum. If you are unable to attend the conference in person, virtual registrations are also available which allow you to submit a paper for possible publication in this fully refereed academic journal.

Whether you are a virtual or in-person presenter at this conference, we also encourage you to present on the Inclusive Museum YouTube Playlist. Please select the Online Sessions link on the conference website for further details. Additionally, please join our online conversation by subscribing to our monthly email newsletter and subscribing to our Facebook, RSS, or Twitter feeds at http://OnMuseums.com/Conference/ .

The deadline for the next round in the call for papers (a title and short abstract) is 16 February 2012. Future deadlines will be announced on the conference website after this date. Proposals are reviewed within two weeks of submission. Full details of the conference, including an online proposal submission form, are to be found at the conference website - http://OnMuseums.com/Conference/ .

We look forward to receiving your proposal and hope you will be able to join us in Cave Hill, Barbados this August.

Yours Sincerely,

Professor Amareswar Galla, PhD

Executive Director, International Institute for the Inclusive Museum, Hyderabad& Sydney; Chairperson, ICOM Cross Cultural Task Force, Paris, France
For the Advisory Board, International Conference on the Inclusive Museum and The International Journal of the Inclusive Museum

***

Note: This message was sent to [log in to unmask] If you would like to be removed from this list, please reply to this email from that same address and include the word 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.

If you have any inquiries about this conference, please send them by reply to this email. All emails are answered in person by one of our conference administrators.

-----
Common Ground Publishing, University of Illinois Research Park, 2001 South First St, Suite 202, Champaign, IL 61820 USA