MASON-INTEREST-L Archives

July 2010

From:
Joerg Hoehne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 2010 03:33:34 -0400
Hi,
I'm monitoring a strange behavior of MASON using the same simulation with
and without a GUI.
I'm creating my non gui simulation by using

	public Trophic01Sim(long seed) {
		super(new MersenneTwisterFast(seed), new ScheduleExtended());
	}

Setting seed to 1 will cause an exhausted simulation (no events because all
my agents died) after 214 steps.

Invoking the same simulation with a gui by using

	public Trophic01SimWithUI() {
		this(new Trophic01Sim(1));
	}

will lead to a different result (my simulation reaches some sort of equilibrium
and won't stop).

Even changing the non gui constructor to

	public Trophic01Sim(long seed) {
		super(new MersenneTwisterFast(1), new ScheduleExtended());
	}

has no effect. I get the same result for the non gui version after 214 steps but
with the gui I get an equilibrium.

I don't use or manipulate MersenneTwisterFast but it is used by the Schedule
class for shuffling the events at the same time step.

Is there (an intended) different behavior between gui and non gui simulations?
For me it is a disturbing feature/bug because I'd like to do some simulation
runs without the gui (much faster) and run the interesting ones with a gui for
visualization (but getting different results).

Please help,
Jörg