ECJ-INTEREST-L Archives

October 2009

From:
Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 2009 19:22:30 +0100
There is always the definite possibility of a bug in ECJ: for example,
I just routed out a long-standing one in Lawnmower recently (check
CVS).  But another reason may be that Koza-I and Koza-II'ss results
have proven historically difficult to reproduce.  There are a number
of reasons for this, but here are two: the random number generator
used in Koza-I and Koza-II was troublingly non-random; and certain
variables are not as you'd expect in print.  For example, though Koza-
I says 400 timesteps for Artificial Ant, in fact it's believed he used
600.  So much subsequenty work used 400 timesteps as a result that
that's the default for both ECJ and lil-gp.  You an change it to 600
and see what's up.  There are other explanations for differences which
have been offered which I don't want to get into here.

So: if we can nail down a bug, I'd love to find out.  But be prepared
for the probability that it's Koza-I and not ECJ. One way to check for
the possibility of an ECJ bug in certain problems is to run lil-gp and
see which one it more or less agrees with.  Let me know what you get.

Sean