ECJ-INTEREST-L Archives

July 2007

From:
Ivar Nastad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2007 05:51:13 -0400
this could be basic, but bear with me:

my current ECJ configuration uses a fixed mutation rate for the mutation
operator. in ES theory, the mutation rate is used in binary search spaces,
determining the probability of flipping e.g. a 1-bit in a parental vector
y. In my real-valued search space the mutation strength, i.e. the standard
deviation of a single component of the mutation vector, is used in the
mutation operator. to quote H-P Schwefel: "The mutation rate in binary
search spaces is viewed as the pendant to the mutation strength in real-
valued search spaces".

my question is therefore:
is the use of a mutation rate in a real-valued search space "ok"?
is there a possibility in ECJ to replace the mutation rate with the
mutation strength?

I'm also looking into the concept of self-adapting mutation strength/rate,
so I`m grateful for any useful information related to this in an ECJ
context.

thanks,
Ivar Nastad
NTNU