SCHAR-STUDENT-ISEC-L Archives

February 2017

SCHAR-STUDENT-ISEC-L@LISTSERV.GMU.EDU

Sender:
SCHAR-STUDENT-ISEC-L <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Nicholas Stroup <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 2017 19:26:52 +0000
Dear Biodefense, HMP, ICP, I-SEC, ODKM, PoliSci, and TPOL students,

I hope the first month of the semester has been treating you well.  For those of you completing your final coursework this semester, please note that the deadline to apply for graduation on PatriotWeb is this Friday.  Details are copied below from a message you previously received from [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.  If you have any questions, please let me know.

Additionally, students who will complete their coursework over the summer should apply to graduate before March 31 to have their names appear in the May graduation program.  Don't worry about registration for summer yet; the list of courses has not yet been posted on PatriotWeb.  When the registrar releases it, I will send a notification and tips for course selection.  We anticipate registration will begin for summer on March 28, so you can plan accordingly.

Best regards,
Nick

Nicholas Stroup
Associate Director of Student Services
Schar School of Policy and Government
703.993.4975
Founders 562 - Arlington Campus
3351 Fairfax Drive MS 3B1
Arlington, VA 22201

IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS FOR May & August (Spring/Summer) 2017 GRADUATES:
If you are planning to finish your studies and graduate this May or August*, please read the following instructions to complete the graduation application process online. It is imperative that you complete the following steps by no later than February 24th (for spring graduates) and June 30th (for summer graduates) in order to have your degree conferred. In addition to this e-mail, please read the detailed graduation information located on the Registrar's website (http://registrar.gmu.edu/students/graduation/process/).
*Please note, if you are completing your last degree requirements this Summer, you need to file your intent for Summer 2017 graduation. All Summer graduates are eligible to attend and walk in the May graduation ceremonies. **If you would like for your name to appear in the graduation programs, you need to file your graduation application intent by no later than March 31st.

Steps Toward Graduation:
*         Step 1: If you have not already done so, please immediately submit the Graduation Intent Form via Patriot Web (https://patriotweb.gmu.edu)<https://patriotweb.gmu.edu> by clicking on "Student Services" and then "Student Records", "Apply to Graduate", click "Continue."  Select Graduation Term and click "Term Submit."   After carefully reviewing your information, click "Submit" again.
 Step 2: All graduating students are required to complete the Graduating Student Exit Survey located here: https://gmuia.co1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_0CldKdRF1DctUIR

Step 3: You are cordially invited to join the Schar School of Policy and Government LinkedIn group.  This is a great resource that allows you to network and maintain contact with faculty, students and fellow alumni. To join, please visit the following link: (<(https:/www.linkedin.com/groups/George-Mason-University-School-Policy-119573/about)>https://www.linkedin.com/groups/119573/profile)<https://www.linkedin.com/groups/119573/profile> to request membership to the group.  You will then be approved and receive an email notification of acceptance into the group.

Step 4: We hope you will join us in celebrating your accomplishments at the Schar School of Policy and Government Degree Celebration on Friday, May 19th, and at the GMU Commencement Ceremony on Saturday, May 20th, 2017.  In order to properly prepare for your attendance, we ask that you RSVP<http://schar.gmu.edu/current-students/the-schar-school-graduation/degree-celebration-rsvp/> no later than Friday, March 21st. Please note that while we encourage students to participate in both ceremonies, participation is not required.  The differences between the two ceremonies are listed below, along with information about regalia.

Graduation Ceremonies:
Schar Degree Celebration<http://schar.gmu.edu/current-students/the-schar-school-graduation/degree-celebration-rsvp/>
*         - Friday, May 19th, 2017 at 7:00pm
*         - EagleBank Arena, Fairfax Campus
*         - Schar graduates only
*         - At this ceremony only, names are read aloud as graduates cross the stage and receive a ceremonial diploma.
*         - Individual photographs are taken of every graduate at this event.
*         - Caps and gowns are worn
*         - Degrees are officially conferred at Commencement (See below)
*         - Refreshments will be served following the ceremony
*         - RSVP<http://schar.gmu.edu/current-students/the-schar-school-graduation/degree-celebration-rsvp/>
University-wide Commencement Ceremony<http://events.gmu.edu/commencement/spring-commencement/>
*         - Saturday, May 20th, 2017 at 10:00am
*         - EagleBank Arena, Fairfax Campus
*         - All university graduates are invited
*         - All guests are welcome - tickets are not required
*         - Ph.D. graduates are individually recognized and photographed on stage receiving their degrees; all other graduates are acknowledged en masse
*         - Caps and gowns are worn
*         - The official university guest speaker delivers the commencement address, and a selected student speaker representing the class of 2017 delivers an address
*         - The event is televised

Please note, graduation regalia (cap, gown and hood) must be worn at both ceremonies. Please purchase your graduation regalia from the bookstore by March 31st, 2017 to ensure availability!  Master's graduates should make sure their hoods are Peacock Blue.  Doctoral graduates should make sure their hoods are Royal Blue.

Finally, we want to provide you with a few details that might be helpful as you graduate from the Schar School. Please make note of the following: Your degree will be conferred (awarded) as of May 20, 2017 (spring graduates) and August 12, 2017 (summer graduates). You will not see the graduation notation on your official transcript until after that date. All diplomas are mailed to you approximately 6-8 weeks after the conferral date. You may order official transcripts from PatriotWeb by following the steps below:

*         Log on to PatriotWeb

*         Select Student Services

  *   Select Student Records
  *   Select Order Official Transcript
Congratulations once again! We are proud of your accomplishments.
The Schar School of Policy and Government Student Services Team