PHD-BIOE-L Archives

November 2021

PHD-BIOE-L@LISTSERV.GMU.EDU

Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 2021 18:49:06 +0000
From:
Carol McHugh <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
PHD-BIOE-L <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
cc: Parag Chitnis <[log in to unmask]>
Dear PhD students,

As you may be aware, we are planning to host an in-person PhD Open House on January 20-21. The full agenda will be shared as soon it is finalized, but I wanted to bring a few points to your attention:

This is an important event for us as it allows us to meet with prospective Doctoral students. We are assessing them, and they are assessing us. Please remember how you may have benefitted from such interactions when trying to make the decision about where to pursue your graduate studies, and extend the same opportunities to those who want to follow in your footsteps. Specifically we ask you to participate in three events described below.

January 20, 12-1:15 PM - students-meet-students lunch at Peterson Hall: We want prospective students to have open and candid conversations with current students about Mason, our programs, and individual labs/PIs.

January 20, 1:30-3 PM - research poster presentations by current students (in their 2nd year and up) in Krasnow Hall: You have already received an email from Carol about this requesting to let her know whether you prefer to present a paper poster or an electronic slideshow. Please provide Carol with your preferences as soon as possible so that we can arrange the required number of poster boards and monitors. This year, individual PIs will be not be giving presenting our research overviews. We hope that the new proposed format will create more lively interactions and interesting discussions.

January 20, 6-7:30 PM - dinner reception in Krasnow Hall: We will conclude the day with a dinner reception that will include you (all current students), prospective students, faculty and staff.

Please note that the department considers participation in these activities a requirement. If you have a reason that prevents you from participating (such as travel abroad), please let me know ASAP.

We thank you in advance for helping to make this a successful event.

Best,

Parag

Parag V. Chitnis (he/him/his)
Associate Professor