MS-STAT-L Archives

September 2016

MS-STAT-L@LISTSERV.GMU.EDU

From:
Liz Quigley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Liz Quigley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 2016 13:00:27 -0400

Greetings all:  Below is an email from Leanna Moron, regarding Mason's -
American Statistical Association's (ASA) meeting:

Dear GMU statistics students,

My name is Leanna Moron and I serve as the president of the George Mason
University chapter of the American Statistical Association along
with Dr. Kenneth Strazzeri as our faculty advisor.

Are you interested in learning more about what it's like to work as a
statistician, data analyst or data scientist? Want to gain hands-on
experience working with data? Want to learn more about the field of
statistics?

Then come join the GMU chapter of the American Statistical Association.
Our first meeting will be on *Thursday, September 8th 6:30-7:30pm in
ENGR 2901.*

Meetings will be on Thursdays at 6:30pm in the engineering building room
1608 after the first meeting.

A few opportunities:
- ASA is having an *Election Presidential Contest*. Submissions are due
*October 24, 2016 by 5 PM. *We will discuss this more at our first
meeting: thisisstatistics.org/electionprediction2016
<http://thisisstatistics.org/electionprediction2016/>
- There is a *Sports Analytics Webinar on **Wednesday, September 14**^th
** at 5 PM. *Interested in a career in sports analytics? This webinar
with top sports statisticians will tell you all about the field. For
more info: http://thisisstatistics.org/sports-analytics/

Here is the tentative meeting schedule for the semester:
http://gmuamstat.weebly.com/upcoming-meetings-and-events.html

Also, our DataFest team from last semester is featured in ASA's Amstat
News on page 12:
http://magazine.amstat.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/June2016-online.pdf

Finally, enjoy the last few days of summer vacation and have a great
first week of school. I look forward to seeing many of you at our first
meeting on the 8th. Feel free to invite your statistically inclined friends.

Best regards,

Leanna Moron
President, George Mason Chapter of the American Statistical Association
www.gmuamstat.weebly.com <http://www.gmuamstat.weebly.com/>