MS-CS-L Archives

November 2012

MS-CS-L@LISTSERV.GMU.EDU

From:
Jyh-Ming Lien <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2012 17:43:15 -0500
Time: Nov 29. 2012, 4pm

Room: ENGR 4201 CS conference

Title: Cloud based Active Archiving Solution for Databases

Abstract:

Cloud computing offers an exciting opportunity to bring on-demand
applications to customers and is being used for delivering hosted
services over the Internet and/or processing massive amount of data for
business intelligence. In this talk, we will discuss the architecture of
cloud computing, MapReduce, and Hadoop. We will then discuss how the
cloud infrastructure can be used for data management services, how the
massive amount of data can be processed over cloud for various business
intelligence applications, and how the cloud can be used for 'Active'
Data Archival for near real-time data access. We discuss various issues
concerning the active archive system including schema modification,
query federation, query optimization, access control and data
provenance. Using TPC-DS benchmark data, we present evaluation results
that shows the ability of our system to seamlessly query archive data
along with data stored in the warehouse in order of minutes compared to
hours required to move the data into the warehouse from traditional
archival systems.

Biography:

Mukesh Mohania received his Ph.D. in Computer Science & Engineering from
Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, India in 1995. Currently, he is
a Senior Technical Staff Member and IBM Master Inventor in IBM Research
- India. He has worked extensively in the areas of distributed
databases, data warehousing, data integration, and autonomic computing.
He has published more than 120 papers and also filed more than 50
patents in these or related areas, and more than 14 have already been
granted. He received the best paper awards in CIKM 2004 and CIKM 2005.
His work on Data Quality, Information Integration, and Autonomic
Computing has led to the development of new products and also influenced
several existing IBM products. He has received several awards within
IBM, such as "Excellence in People Management", “Outstanding Innovation
Award”, "Technical Accomplishment Award", “Leadership By Doing”, and
many more. He also received IEEE Meritorious Service Award. He is an ACM
Distinguished Scientist, and a member of IBM Academy of Technology.

--
Jyh-Ming Lien
Assistant Professor, George Mason University

MASC Group: http://masc.cs.gmu.edu
Homepage: http://cs.gmu.edu/~jmlien