MS-CPE-L Archives

July 2020

MS-CPE-L@LISTSERV.GMU.EDU

From:
Jammie Chang <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jammie Chang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jul 2020 17:56:30 +0000
Notice and Invitation
Oral Defense of Doctoral Dissertation
The Volgenau School of Engineering, George Mason University

Farnoud Farahmand
Bachelor of Science, Islamic Azad University Karaj, 2013
Master of Science, George Mason University, 2016

Efficient and Secure Implementation of Secret-key and Post-quantum Public-key Cryptography with Applications in Internet of Things, Hardware Security, and Cloud Computing

Thursday, July 30, 2020, 4:00 PM

WebEx Link:
https://gmu.webex.com/gmu/onstage/g.php?MTID=e18f97ba93a34032ff7536f71bcf3515c
All are invited to attend.

Committee
Dr. Kris Gaj, Chair
Dr. Jens-Peter Kaps
Dr. Avesta Sasan
Dr. William Diehl

Abstract

Authenticated ciphers offer potential benefits to the Internet of Things (IoT) devices. The CAESAR competition sought optimal authenticated ciphers based on several criteria, including performance in resource-constrained environments. In this study, we developed true lightweight implementations of five Round 3 CAESAR candidates: ACORN, CLOC-AES, NORX, SILC-AES, and SILC-LED. We extended the implementation of ACORN with countermeasures against side-channel attacks. We compared two SCA-protected, FPGA-based realizations of ACORN with the designs for the current standard, AES-GCM, equivalent in terms of the area and throughput, respectively. We then adapted one of these implementations to the use in a novel key management scheme for hardware security based on logic locking and obfuscation. In the second part of this study, the goal was to set the foundation for the early, systematic, and comprehensive study of the hardware efficiency of the most promising Post-Quantum Cryptography (PQC) public-key ciphers. In particular, we developed a high-speed, constant-time, full hardware implementation of NTRUEncrypt Short Vector Encryption Scheme (SVES) (fully compliant with the corresponding IEEE standard), and two leading Round 2 candidates in the NIST PQC standardization effort - NewHope, and Kyber. We also investigated the potential for speeding up implementations of the NTRU-based Key Encapsulation Mechanisms (KEMs), using software/hardware codesign, and developed a special benchmarking platform based on Xilinx Zynq UltraScale+ multiprocessor system-on-chip. The developed PQC implementations can be combined with high-speed implementations of secret-key authenticated ciphers to provide robust long-term protection of information in cloud computing and other high-performance applications.

WebEx Event Information

Event address for attendees:
https://gmu.webex.com/gmu/onstage/g.php?MTID=e18f97ba93a34032ff7536f71bcf3515c

Audio conference information:
To receive a call back, provide your phone number when you join the event, or call the number below and enter the access code.
US Toll +1-415-655-0003

Join from a video system or application:
You can also dial 173.243.2.68 and enter your meeting number.