MASON-INTEREST-L Archives

December 2004

From:
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 16:16:08 -0500
We have completed upgrading MASON to use a real-valued schedule.  The
modification is fairly extensive but it will only affect users in
relatively minor ways (mostly moving from longs to doubles when
scheduling items).  However it complicates the distinction between
steps (ticks) and time.  Also of course a double has only 52 bits of
integer space whereas a long has 64 bits.  Though if your simulations
are lasting 2^52 time ticks, I'd like to speak with you!  :-)

If you'd like to voice an opinion on how the change should occur (or IF
it should occur), I'd appreciate any comments about the pros and cons
of doing so posted to the list.  I am considering posting two versions
of MASON (integer with current bug-fixes; and real-valued) to make it
easier for people to migrate.