MASON-INTEREST-L Archives

July 2013

From:
Timothy R Gulden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jul 2013 21:40:18 +0000
Making polygon roads into line roads is going to be difficult -- particularly if you want to preserve the turn restrictions that you need for routing (e.g. one way streets, no left turns, etc.).

It would be better to start with a different road base.  I think OpenStreetMap will serve well for this kind of thing, though I haven't done routing with it myself.  I think I am seeing an extract of the DC metro area in shapefile format here:

http://download.bbbike.org/osm/bbbike/WashingtonDC/
specifically this:
WashingtonDC.osm.shp.zip<http://download.bbbike.org/osm/bbbike/WashingtonDC/WashingtonDC.osm.shp.zip>

I am not certain that it will serve, but I suspect it will.

Cheers,

Tim