MASON-INTEREST-L Archives

July 2015

From:
Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 2015 14:25:03 -0400
The problem here is that graphical interface libraries like to be in control of your main loop, but you're running an evolutionary computation system which is probably going to be in control of the main loop.  So a few resources and ideas.

First, note that if you've followed the rules regarding properly serializable stuff, and you have no writeable shared or static variables,  you can probably easily copy the entire runtime state of a MASON simulation using the ec/util/DataPipe.java file found in the ECJ toolkit (https://github.com/eclab/ecj/blob/master/ecj/ec/util/DataPipe.java).  Just checkpoint into it, and then checkpoint out of it, and now you've got another SimState.  You could probably use this to run stuff in the background, then occasionally "clone" a simulation to use in the foreground while stuff is still running in the background.

Second, if you weren't using an evolutionary computation facility, but rather were just running N simulations in a row with occasional visualization, you could easily hack something up to not display anything in the GUI (just closing the windows) then occasionally pop up a display.

Here's what I'd do.  Let's say your model is of the class MyModel and your visualization is of the class MyModelWithUI.  Do your evolutionary computation loop, then when you want to view a simulation representing a current solution, let's say that the simulation you want to see is called mymodel.  Then you could say:

// copy it so we can still do things with mm in the background
// (if that matters to you)
	MyModel mm = (MyModel)(DataPipe.copy(mymodel));

// display
	MyModelWithUI mmwi = new MyModelWithUI(mysim);
	Console c = new Console(mmwi);
	c.setVisible();

... then continue evolving in a separate thread in the background.

Sean