MASON-INTEREST-L Archives

August 2013

Sender:
From:
Russell Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Aug 2013 19:38:35 -0700
I¹ve created a model of foraging over a gradient landscape that is
bounded/flat, not a torus, and I found a workable solution.

Define your 2D space so that it has a ³buffer zone² around the outside.
When ever one of your agents detects that it is in the ³buffer zone², it
should activate a special set of navigation rules ‹ maybe called ³reversal²
-- where it pivots around and returns on the same path (with a loop, or
other curvature, or what ever seems natural).  You could also have a
³reverse-through-reflection² algorithm where the agent returns to the main
area on the same angle that it entered the buffer zone.  This would minimize
edge effects, but not eliminate them completely.  Finally, you could have a
³reverse erratically² where some random combinations of reversing maneuvers
are tried until the agent is no longer in the ³buffer zone².

In these special algorithms, you¹d have collision avoidance, but no other
elements of your flocking algorithm.

The advantage of this approach is that you use the normal flocking
algorithms as long as agents are inside the main zone, and outside of the
main zone you no longer attempt to do any flocking but instead focus on
turning around.  This approach is consistent with ³situated cognition², by
the way.

What you should see is normal flocking behavior within the main zone, and
then some algorithm-specific behavior in the ³buffer zone² as agents turn
around and then re-flock.

Hope this helps.

Russ