MASON-INTEREST-L Archives

October 2015

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 2015 19:52:26 -0400
From:
Joey Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Another solution to the shuffle is to use a class that wraps a
MersenneTwisterFast and extends Random. Like so:

class MTFWrapper extends Random
    {
    MersenneTwisterFast rng;

    public MTFWrapper(MersenneTwisterFast r) { rng = r; }
    public synchronized void setSeed(long seed) { rng.setSeed(seed); }
    public synchronized int nextInt() {  return rng.nextInt(); }
    public synchronized int nextInt(int n) { return rng.nextInt(n); }
    public synchronized long nextLong() { return rng.nextLong(); }
    public synchronized boolean nextBoolean() { return rng.nextBoolean(); }
    public synchronized float nextFloat() { return rng.nextFloat(); }
    public synchronized double nextDouble() { return rng.nextDouble(); }
    public synchronized void nextBytes(byte[] bytes) {
rng.nextBytes(bytes); }
    public synchronized double nextGaussian()  { return rng.nextGaussian();
}
    }

Then you can shuffle any collection you want:
Collections.shuffle(agentList, new MTFWrapper(state.random));

Another method still is to write your own shuffle function:

    public static void shuffle(List list, MersenneTwisterFast mtf)
        {
        int numObjs = list.size();
        Object obj;
        int rand;

        for(int x=numObjs-1; x >= 1 ; x--)
            {
            rand = mtf.nextInt(x+1);
            obj = list.get(x);
            list.set(x, list.get(rand));
            list.set(rand, obj);
            }
        }

Note: I'm nearly certain Sean wrote this code.

Good luck,
Joey