MASON-INTEREST-L Archives

June 2015

From:
Christian Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jun 2015 13:22:13 +0200
Using an entity component system (ECS) might be suitable for you. It is
similar to the strategy pattern but any combination of "strategies" is
possible and also saving state along with them.

Each agent is an entity which is nothing more than a set of components
(representing state). A factory class is used to create entities with
the needed component sets. During each step systems (representing logic)
will update the entity by changing its components. For example, a
ReproductionSystem will look for a certain subset of components needed
for reproduction and only update agents who have this subset. To give an
agent the ability to reproduce, just add the needed components and you
are done.

This is a simple ECS which I changed for MASON. Some work was needed to
integrate it into the schedule.
https://github.com/adamgit/Entity-System-RDBMS-Beta--Java-

Best regards,
Christian