MASON-INTEREST-L Archives

December 2004

From:
Steve Butcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 2004 13:20:54 -0500
Dear Liviu

Thanks again!

I'll be finishing up an MS at Johns Hopkins's PTE program in August
2005 (or December 2005 if I hold out for one more class that might
finally get taught). I've also been a TA for Algorithms and Artificial
Intelligence (odd, I know, but I've already had those courses and I
already have a MA in Economics which are the basic requirements for a
TA.) My concentration has been in Machine Learning with an emphasis in
Evolutionary Computation. I'm thinking I would really like to complete
a Ph.D. in Computer Science so that I can continue research in Machine
Learning.

I'm a bit worried about having to repeat courses and about the oral
exam because I have a learning disability that doesn't mesh well with
either boredom or on-the-spot thinking (which is why I love email and
IM).

Another concern (and this comes from being a labor economist) is my
age. At 41, even if I started next year, at the best, I might be done
when I was 45--and that's even if you can do a part-time degree in 3
years (full-time is financially out of the question for several
reasons). CS seems to be a little age-ist...at least software
engineering is. I wonder if there would be a payoff--I'm not sure what
the cost for classes is or what the final tally would be but I'd also
being footing the bill myself. Are there older students in the program?
(I find very few students my age are in the Masters program at JHU, at
least the Computer Science program)

Any comments, suggestions, incites you have would be appreciated. Maybe
we can have lunch one day. In any case, GECCO is in DC next year so
maybe we could get ECJ users together.

Best,
Steve.