MASON-INTEREST-L Archives

March 2012

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2012 09:05:39 -0400
From:
Randolph Latimer <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Sean, thanks for all the help.
I'd like to be able to help, if I can, students in Dr. Axtell's classes
for example that may want some guidance getting started with Mason.
Parts of how Mason's working are still a little 'magical' to me, but
should get easier with time.

I'm modeling the CoordinationGame (from Ascape) on your Schoolyard
example.   I also just got some code working from using the draw()
function from AntsForaging on Mason.

Here's what I have (this is kind of hybrid code at this point)

This code now shows a mixed number of yellow and red oval agents
(CoordinationPlayer) on a blue grid.  So I think the initial beginning
is now working.
Sean - I'm not sure where I would insert your "MyPortrayal" suggestion.
Is it the same thing I'm doing here, or is there an essential
difference.  I think my version may have each agent drawing/painting
themselves, your MyPortrayal version may be different?

See if this is a good structure to start from. I'd like to be able to
translate easily - and show other students how to do this - from
Ascape/Netlogo/Repast to Mason.  I'd like to think that this is possible
to do.
Thanks
  Randy

Here's my CoordinationGame (adapting from Ascape) so far -

FILE 1:
public class CoordinationPlayer	implements Steppable
{
	protected SimpleColorMap colormap = new
SimpleColorMap(0,1,Color.black,Color.white);
	public Color color;

	public CoordinationPlayer()
	{
		if ((int)(Math.random()*2) == 0)
			color = Color.red;// colormap.getColor(.2);
		else color = Color.yellow; //colormap.getColor(.7);
	}

	public Color getColor()
	{
		return color;
	}

	public void step(SimState state)
	{
		CoordinationPlayers students = (CoordinationPlayers) state;
		ObjectGrid2D yardgrid = students.yardgrid;
	}

    public final void draw(Object object, Graphics2D graphics,
DrawInfo2D info)
         {
THIS IS FROM ANTS FORAGING:
         int x = (int)(info.draw.x - info.draw.width / 2.0);
         int y = (int)(info.draw.y - info.draw.height / 2.0);
         int width = (int)(info.draw.width);
         int height = (int)(info.draw.height);
	graphics.setColor(color);
         graphics.fillOval(x,y,width, height);
         }
}

FILE 2
public class CoordinationPlayers extends SimState
{
	public int yardgridWidth=10;
	public int yardgridHeight = 10;
	public ObjectGrid2D yardgrid = new
ObjectGrid2D(yardgridWidth,yardgridHeight);
	public  int numStudents = 30;
	public int numBuyers = 30;
	double forceToSchoolMultiplier= 0.01;
	double randomMultiplier = 0.1;
	public Network buddies = new Network(false);

	public CoordinationPlayers(long seed)
	{
		super(seed);
	}

	public void start()
	{
		super.start();
		yardgrid.clear();

		for(int i = 0; i < numStudents; i++)
		{
			CoordinationPlayer student = new CoordinationPlayer();
			int x = random.nextInt(yardgridWidth);
			int y = random.nextInt(yardgridHeight);
			yardgrid.set(x,y,student);
			do {
				x = random.nextInt(yardgridWidth);
				y = random.nextInt(yardgridHeight);
			} while (yardgrid.get(x,y) != null);
			schedule.scheduleRepeating(student);
		}
	}

	public static void main(String[] args)
	{
		doLoop(CoordinationPlayers.class, args);
		// Longer version:
		/*
		SimState state = new Students(System.currentTimeMillis());
		state.start();
		do
			if (!state.schedule.step(state)) break;
		while(state.schedule.getSteps() < 5000);
		state.finish();
		*/
		System.exit(0);
	}
}

FILE 3

public class CoordinationGameWithUI extends GUIState
{
	public Display2D display;
	public JFrame displayFrame;
	//ContinuousPortrayal2D yardPortrayal = new ContinuousPortrayal2D();
	ObjectGridPortrayal2D yardgridPortrayal = new ObjectGridPortrayal2D();
	NetworkPortrayal2D buddiesPortrayal = new NetworkPortrayal2D();

	public static void main(String[] args)
	{
		CoordinationGameWithUI vid = new CoordinationGameWithUI();
		Console c = new Console(vid);
		c.setVisible(true);
	}

	public CoordinationGameWithUI() {
		super(new CoordinationPlayers(System.currentTimeMillis()));
	}

	public CoordinationGameWithUI(SimState state) {
		super(state);
	}

	public static String getName() {
		return "Coordination Game";
	}

	public void start()
	{
		super.start();
		setupPortrayals();
	}

	public void load(SimState state)
	{
		super.load(state);
		setupPortrayals();
	}

	public void setupPortrayals()
	{
		CoordinationPlayers students = (CoordinationPlayers) state;

		yardgridPortrayal.setField(students.yardgrid);
	//	yardgridPortrayal.setPortrayalForClass(CoordinationPlayer.class,new
RectanglePortrayal2D(Color.red,true));
	//	yardgridPortrayal.setPortrayalForNull(new
RectanglePortrayal2D(Color.blue,true));
	//	yardgridPortrayal.setPortrayalForAll(new
RectanglePortrayal2D(Color.blue,false));
		//yardPortrayal.setField(students.yardgrid);
		//yardPortrayal.setPortrayalForAll(new OvalPortrayal2D());

		display.reset();
		display.setBackdrop(Color.blue);

		display.repaint();
	}

	public void init(Controller c)
	{
		super.init(c);
		display = new Display2D(600,600,this);
		display.setClipping(false);

		displayFrame = display.createFrame();
		displayFrame.setTitle("Schoolyard Display");
		c.registerFrame(displayFrame);
		displayFrame.setVisible(true);
		//display.attach(buddiesPortrayal, "Buddies");
		display.attach(yardgridPortrayal, "Yard");
	}

	public void quit()
	{
		super.quit();