HISTPHD-L Archives

October 2015

HISTPHD-L@LISTSERV.GMU.EDU

From:
Nicole A Roth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nicole A Roth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 2015 18:01:13 +0000

To address the current state of race relations in the US and around the world, the Little Rock Central High School National Historic Site will host a three-day Social Conscience Gathering<http://socialconsciencegathering2015.com/index.html> from Friday, November 20 through Sunday, November 22, 2015 in Little Rock, AR. The Gathering, sponsored by the National Park Service, will bring together academics, activists, artists, clergy and policy makers to discuss the far reaching impact of the Civil War and movements for social justice, to explore the history of oppression at home and abroad, to identify barriers to social change, to cultivate empathy for other people and cultures and to forge new paths toward global equality.

Topics of discussion will include the legacy of the American Civil War and Reconstruction, the impact of the civil rights movement, the history of structural oppression and inequality, the state of American and global historical education, community activism, American health policy, drug policy, gender inequality, principles of nonviolence and dialogue and reconciliation across religious divides.

To register, go here<http://socialconsciencegathering2015.com/registration.html>.  Also, please like and share our Facebook page<https://www.facebook.com/socialconsciencegathering>, where you can follow along with our discussions.

For further information, please contact Eric Singer via email<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.
--
Eric S. Singer, M.Ed., Ph.D.
Project Historian