HISTPHD-L Archives

September 2009

HISTPHD-L@LISTSERV.GMU.EDU

Sender:
HISTPHD-L <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Mack Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Sep 2009 17:10:14 -0400
Dear MA and PhD Students,

Here is some more information on the Buckland farm internship
opportunity I wrote you about earlier today.
<http://www.bucklandva.org/home.html>.

Mack Holt

David Blake just forwarded me your recent correspondence regarding
GMU interns for the Buckland Preservation Society.  I look forward to
getting George Mason students involved in the research and I would be
glad to supervise the students' work as interns with us.

I agree that we should aim for spring 2010 semester internships, to
give those students interested a chance to sign up and arrange their
schedules.  With regard to format, we can be quite flexible on our
end.  The availability of research topics and preservation assistance
at Buckland means that we are not really limited to taking on a set
number of students.    If there are several students who express
interest for the spring semester, we will try to arrange some group
meetings, especially at the beginning and end of the semester.  I
expect that before or at the beginning of the semester we will start
with a presentation and orientation on-site, and give the students an
opportunity to select their specific project from a few key topics.
If it is acceptable to GMU, we will encourage some group work,
especially if groups of students need to carpool to libraries,
courthouses, and archives.  Supervision will consist of occasional
meetings or trips to libraries, guidance by e-mail about topics, and
evaluation of the students' completed research.  Most of the interns'
time will be spent doing independent primary and secondary source
research and/or transcribing and studying sources we have already
retrieved (depending on each student's ability to visit repositories).

Two areas we would like to have the interns research are a) documents
pertaining to the African-American residents of Buckland, both
enslaved and free; and b) records relating to businesses (mills,
distillery, tannery, stores) in Buckland and their trade with other
regional towns and cities, especially the port cities of the Potomac.
These areas are broad and interrelated, and should allow students to
select specific topics and categories of primary sources that
interest them.  Additionally, pertinent sources for these topics will
be available locally in Fairfax, Alexandria, Prince William, Loudoun
and/or Fauquier, and thus not require extensive travel on the part of
the interns.  Interns will also have an opportunity to work with the
African-American Historical Association (AAHA) of Fauquier County,
leaders and partners in this research.

There are not currently active archaeological excavations going on at
Buckland, but when they are, such digs will offer further internship
opportunities, whether in the Spring 2010 semester or later.

The ultimate goal is to have the interns collaborate and contribute
to ongoing historical research for the purpose of public history and
preservation.  To this end, the focus might be summarized as "Methods
in Public History - Buckland, Virginia."  We will work with the AAHA
to determine more specific details within this broader goal.  These
might include publishing results or sources online in a blog or
exhibit, and a culminating synthesis of each intern's work into a
group report.  This report will illuminate local and regional
history, demonstrate the ability to obtain, contextualize, and
interpret primary sources, inform current public policy on a
significant historic district, and advocate for future preservation
and education grants.

Please let me know whether or not these suggestions sound acceptable.
 From there, students can begin registering, and we will correspond
with each to determine a manageable project for their internship that
addresses their academic interests and the framework described above.

Sincerely,
Stephen Fonzo