HISTPHD-L Archives

January 2016

HISTPHD-L@LISTSERV.GMU.EDU

From:
Nicole A Roth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nicole A Roth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jan 2016 21:56:57 +0000
Greetings and Happy New Year!

As you recover from the holidays and begin planning for the upcoming semester, we would like to let you know about the Digital Humanities Working Group, launching Spring Semester, 2016.

The George Mason University Libraries is organizing a Digital Humanities Working Group, meeting in Fenwick Library on the first and third Wednesdays of the month from 5:30pm to 7:00pm. We will be hosting hack sessions on the first Wednesday of the month, an open time to come and work on your digital projects with others for support, both moral and technical. On the third Wednesday of the month we will be hosting speakers to discuss current research, offer tips for digital scholarship, or present on emerging digital methods. The working group is open to all interested in digital methods in the humanities.

We welcome volunteers to present their work in progress or demonstrate digital methods for the group. Please email George Oberle ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>), Jen Stevens ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>), or Jeri Wieringa ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>) if you are interested in presenting.

To start the semester, we are pleased to welcome Lincoln Mullen from the Department of History and Art History on January 20th at 5:30pm in the Gateway Library Instruction Room. Dr. Mullen will be talking about his recent project identifying how legal codes of civil procedure were borrowed and modified in jurisdictions across the United States. The methods he uses for identifying similarities between documents and the corresponding R package he developed offer an instructive example of using text mining in humanities research.

Please join us for the first meeting of the Digital Humanities Working Group on January 20, 2016 at 5:30 pm in the Gateway Library Instruction Room (second floor of the Gateway Library).