HISTPHD-L Archives

September 2021

HISTPHD-L@LISTSERV.GMU.EDU

Sender:
HISTPHD-L <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2021 18:13:01 +0000
From:
Emily M Gibson <[log in to unmask]>
From: Center for Humanities Research <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Center for Humanities Research <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, September 20, 2021 2:03 PM

Subject: CHR News and Opportunities

Dear Colleagues, Students, and Friends,

We hope everyone is doing well-- we wanted to remind you of some exciting upcoming CHR events. Please see below!

Research Presentations: Pasts/Presents/Futures

Each of CHR's fall 2021 Residential Fellows will be presenting their work in progress this semester. These will be informal lunchtime talks and we welcome your attendance and participation. Final details on format will be announced later-- Zoom links to be made available for hybrid talks; no need to RSVP. Please add these dates to your calendar (and see attached flyer as well):

*please note date change of talk by PhD Candidate Eric Ross (previously October 21, now October 19)

[cid:14d06337-4400-467f-9db3-4971ce5a8c7c]

Holocaust and Postcolonialism: Germany's Past and Future Memory Culture- A Conversation with Professor Michael Rothberg (UCLA) and Professor Alison Landsberg (Mason) [Virtual Zoom Event]

Please also save the date for this event<https://chr.gmu.edu/events/12625>, happening on Wednesday, October 13 (2:00-3:30 pm).

Sponsored by the GMU Center for Humanities Research, the German Embassy in Washington, and the GMU German Program at MCL, this discussion will illuminate the unique memory culture that evolved in Germany after the end of the Second World War. Over the last seven decades, successive generations of Germans have spurred their country to confront the crimes of the Holocaust, when the Nazi regime murdered six million Jews, millions of POWs, hundreds of thousands of Roma and Sinti, and hundreds of thousands of people with disabilities. While Germany boasts numerous monuments and memorials commemorating these crimes and generally eschews more traditional displays of national pride, critics of its memory culture have begun to question whether that memory culture has allowed Germans to ignore colonial crimes and neoimperialism that continues to this day. Michael Rothberg, Chair of the Department of Comparative Literature at UCLA and an authority on Holocaust memory, will engage in a conversation with Alison Landsberg, Director of the Mason Center for Humanities Research and an expert in the field of memory studies, about the history of German memory culture, where it is headed, and what lessons it might have for the United States.

The conversation will focus on four key questions.

- How has memory of the Holocaust evolved in Germany since the end of World War II?

- How did postcolonialism and German memory culture influence each other?

- How has the debate over the German genocide of the Herero and Nama people in present-day Namibia shaped and been shaped by German memory culture, in particular through the Catechism Debate that has played out over the last several months?

- What lessons does German memory culture have for how the United States remembers and memorializes its past?

Link to register (RSVP required!) available via attached flyer and here<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/holocaust-postcolonialism-germanys-past-future-memory-culture-talk-tickets-170319613549>.

Check out this video from Professor Vivek Narayanan: How Social Annotation Brings Back Close Reading and Transforms Your Class Discussion<https://journals.gmu.edu/index.php/ITLCP/article/view/3010>

"This presentation is an overview of the social annotation tools that, in the past year, have transformed my approach to the discussion of assigned texts in my classes. I give a brief introduction to two such tools designed for use in the classroom and with Blackboard: Hypothesis and Perusall. I go over some of the merits of social annotation in general, as well as a subjective comparison of the two platforms. Finally, I give a quick sense of what it’s like to upload and set up an assignment for annotation."

We'd love to share your research and/or publication news! Email us at [log in to unmask] with any updates or announcements.
Have a great week!

Best wishes,

Alison Landsberg (Director)
Catherine Olien (Associate Director)