HISTPHD-L Archives

January 2019

HISTPHD-L@LISTSERV.GMU.EDU

Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2019 19:55:58 +0000
From:
Sam Lebovic <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
HISTPHD-L <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>, "Full-time (Tenured, Tenure-Track, and Term) faculty of the Department of History" <[log in to unmask]>
Dear All,

This semester, we are starting a new workshop for faculty and PhD students to discuss work in progress.  We’ll meet four times this semester, and have varied the meeting times and places to make sure that people with different schedules are able to attend at least some sessions (and also to see what times work best).  Each session will focus on discussion of a pre-circulated paper – I’ll send an email out when the paper is ready, normally about 10 days or so before the workshop. I hope to see many of you at the following sessions:

Monday, February 18, from 4:30 to 5:30, Stephen Robertson, “Law and (Dis)Order in the 1935 Harlem Riot.” Meeting in Fenwick Room 3001.

Tuesday, March 5 from noon to 1, Alison Landsberg, “Post-Postracial America: Confronting the Afterlife of Slavery at the Legacy Museum and National Memorial for Peace and Justice in Montgomery, Alabama.” Meeting in Department Conference Room

Monday, April 1st from 5:30 to 7,  Eric Gonzaba, "All Male Cinema: Gay Men, Porn Theaters, and Urban Cleanup in the 1970s" Session meets with colloquium, in Merten Hall 1203

Wednesday, April 17, at noon – John Garnett, "Importing Modernity: Hard Red Spring Wheat and the Birth of Transnational Wheat Rust (1904-1940)."  Meeting in Department Conference Room

All best,
Sam