HISTPHD-L Archives

April 2020

HISTPHD-L@LISTSERV.GMU.EDU

From:
Sam Lebovic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sam Lebovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 2020 16:46:30 +0000
Dear all,

The Dean's Office has created a summer research fellowship which will offer $7,000 of funding to one student in each PhD program to support dissertation research in the Summer 2020.  The Graduate Committee will select which student from our department receives the fellowship on April 14.

To be eligible for the fellowship, you need to have defended your dissertation proposal.  If you have already received summer funding from some other source (eg, Provost's Summer Funding) you are not eligible for this fellowship.

If you would like to be considered for the fellowship, please submit an application by 5pm on April 13.  Please email me, in one pdf:

1) A one page summary of your dissertation
2) A copy of your original dissertation timetable from your prospectus and an updated timetable explaining the status of your dissertation, and a timetable for remaining work
3) A one-paragraph description of the work you plan to do over the summer with the support of the fellowship.  Please note that there is no expectation that you will travel with these funds, and you do not need to propose a budget for how you will use them. (They will be paid directly to the recipient as a lump-sum; you will not need to put in for reimbursement for research costs like you would for a travel grant).

Please also have your PhD advisor send me a short email confirming that they approve of your proposed plan of work for the summer.

Many thanks,
Sam