HISTPHD-L Archives

August 2021

HISTPHD-L@LISTSERV.GMU.EDU

Sender:
HISTPHD-L <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 2021 15:11:11 +0000
From:
Emily M Gibson <[log in to unmask]>
From: CHSS Grad Admins <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Susan A. Turriziani <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 31, 2021 11:00 AM
Subject: RSVP Today! Mason Nation 9/11 Day of Service

The 9th Annual Mason Nation 9/11 Day of Service will take place on Friday, September 10, 2021. We encourage Mason students, faculty, staff, alumni, and Mason families to participate!

We are pleased to share with you that this year’s Mason Nation 9/11 Day of Service is scheduled for Friday, September 10, 2021. A variety of service projects will be available for students, faculty, staff, alumni, and community members to choose from and participate in. Registration is NOW OPEN. Please visit: https://secure-web.cisco.com/1wDwm3bDANl1OVmV_V9CpgrEPK6JIZhuKFWK40IunnyBRGdJcckAkHPdaY5uIQCT9OcEE_2Wp7r3mOUSOAUPT4N0PpA9RIAhSuSo6445cBRAun31gjpiIs1xLELVqXgyjj4QLapYxMa1rkDtyF53nNd74Y0fz6CHpoWZiVxeUvDBuTy56x-ndP87d8Dl9zRfKkczkjxFtvgyUVaRCM1h6KRsK1Vj21eV774QprfobgvlxNN_nkqOpceXMJYcBXmTcVRjfXjWrNto6_RAe-6PaOp5KCg2EJ52slnwYLeEgogq9n-IuDgMFGK6ajsIjSFQZNWySs60pFDqHUEeCoB2CY4YRduHmTlL8xynTRk-qDUWxsWjRdPhUo2tosgRNCK9CraMyAV66DHM7JXok0rq74beBmNFQQplpELasjYcZHFflbViHsSTbHBiNdKx9xRvHhPLfnlu_EadAYLLc1CjkMhbXhtSBxfmNAQejUoDdiXs/https%3A%2F%2F911dayofservice2021.eventbrite.com%2F<https://secure-web.cisco.com/129hyt7nsFqhxIku3ylaCUrLBV7A_FMPLor_8AB59qcIp2il1kbTTdd0g_TzOGG58P393nJNaEvh-BsY1RprNJxVkUniS3zSpcC0nzXckccf2xixLESpZ4d0DkBbJ1HOUAxDsHZV4YDIuxhHI5RQ1Af52oMruxCTnjcF7zeKWX_bvcvNV7NqxKmK4QhQ5Y6Tpxe2WcEkqZNSXE1ahFATWqzUnIu4g3eF2DUNceEuRfSKk-0xCRUxrhGYLhqr0sQAyDLKFSd_oVk-_kGcJ_EiWqmoHpcpjQWjLDLgh-RDuDseepRpUPNjnAutczjxu0dx5CpU9aBbs1RhLaKQrrepsKt9ssjnqodV7_xrxjWV7JJ9cWgRLIPaevjbz_Zy0pIy2xy1yXFamyWzzKNCZR1ltMHOvt9Y6DDNqnRJBxCxyfIoMuiEWpDmME1ZzbAwqGkk78Yo-9GfiJARyg6rUWsGWl3iU8u-0CR1uWWnOq8Qg7zbZwlQVaatgdJmJ9-tCVdEk/https%3A%2F%2F911dayofservice2021.eventbrite.com%2F> to RSVP for a service project(s).

As a result of participation in the 2021 Mason Nation 9/11 Day of Service, participants will have a chance to:

  *   Recognize the value of an individual’s contribution to our community’s effort towards positive social change
  *   Engage and participate in service projects to support our community
  *   Describe at least one way that they can promote positive social change within an organization or in society in general
  *   Participate in active self-reflection regarding one’s own leadership and how they use their experience to contribute to positive change

This year’s Mason Nation 9/11 Day of Service is designed to allow for flexibility and encourages staff to take engage in service as they are able to. We realize schedules are very busy and complex, so we are offering several different service projects for everyone to participate in virtually on their own time as well as having in-person opportunities. This year’s service projects are also designed to allow for family and friends to participate in as well. We are also excited to share that we have partnered with military veteran, Ben King from Armor Down to host a virtual morning mindfulness and meditation session.

We do ask that you RSVP for a service project (feel free to RSVP for more than 1) so we can track where our service and outreach is taking place. If you would like to participate in our Mason Nation 9/11 Day of Service Social Media Campaign to track our service, please use #masongivesback when posting and sharing photos.

Program Highlights

Mindfulness Mediation with Ben King from Armor Down

Join Armor Down Founder and President Ben King as he guides us through a mindfulness meditation practice called 10 Bells on September 10th from 8:00am-8:30am

Mason Nation 9/11 Day of Service Welcome and Kick-Off

Join us on Friday, September 10th at 10:00am-10:30am for our official welcome and kick-off at Wilkins Plaza – South Side Area (rain location: Hub, Ballroom)

Mason Nation 9/11 Day of Service Fair

We invite you to join Social Action and Integrative Learning (SAIL) for our annual George Mason University Service Fair. Connect with more than 45 different community partners and leaders at the event, discover various service opportunities, and learn more about the issues facing our diverse local communities.

Arlington Police, Fire & Sheriff 9/11 Memorial 5k Service Project

Join the “George Mason University” team and run where you live. The Arlington Police, Fire & Sheriff 9/11 Memorial 5K Race provides an avenue for local area businesses and residents to remember the victims of the attacks on 9/11. The race also honors the countless first responders and military personnel who responded that day and honors their continuous fight in the war on terrorism. This year’s event will include an in-person option that will be capped at 2,000 runners, as well as a virtual option based on preference. All proceeds will be donated to official charities that focus on the healing of military personnel and civilians directly affected by the war on terrorism and the attacks against America on September 11, 2001.

If you have any questions about the specific service project you RSVP’d for, please be sure to contact the designated Project Coordinator.  Their contact info can be found at: https://911day.gmu.edu/service-projects/.  <https://911day.gmu.edu/service-projects/>

We are so glad to have you as part of this year's Mason Nation9/11 Day of Service.  For questions about the Mason Nation 9/11 Day of Service, please contact Lisa Snyder, Associate Director at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.