FTELEM-L Archives

February 2009

FTELEM-L@LISTSERV.GMU.EDU

Sender:
Fast Train <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Leslie Silkworth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2009 12:04:47 -0500
To: Elem Ed Listserve <[log in to unmask]>, ESL Listserve <[log in to unmask]>
/Attention All International Students/:

All international students who plan on returning to George Mason
University this summer to continue taking course work in the FAST TRAIN
Program must submit the following paperwork listed below /*by April 1*/
in order to obtain an I-20 (immigration document) from GMU so that you
can then apply for your F-1 student visas. Citizens of Canada (not
landed immigrants) must comply with the requirements below except a visa
is not required at the U.S. Embassy/Consulate. However, all Canadian
citizens need to present an I-20 form to the immigration officer at the
port of entry. International students taking 3, 6, or 9 credit hours
must send in the documentation below as required by U.S. federal law.

1. *A copy of the International Student Information Form* (Certificate
of Financial Responsibility) which may be downloaded from the GMU
graduate application:
http://admissions.gmu.edu/global/CertFinancialRespons08.pdf. Fill out
the form, including an original signature. Please make sure it is signed
by you and co-signed if you are being sponsored.

2. *Financial support documents* that include enough funds to cover
tuition (current rate is listed on our website), living expenses (please
include about $1200 for housing, books, transportation, food), student
health insurance ($356 for summer 2009), plus additional funds for
Praxis, VRA and VCLA exams, if needed, and other incidentals while
living here for five weeks. An *_original bank statement which is less
than 6 months_* old showing coverage of these funds will suffice. If
this bank statement is not in the student’s name, a signed letter from
the owner of the account should also be sent, stating financial support
of the student.

3. *A copy of the identification pages in your current passport*.

4. *A current, accurate and thorough address and phone number.* All
I-20s will be sent DHL or Federal Express by the FAST TRAIN office.
Please email Afsaneh Ziaee, [log in to unmask], your current address so that
she can send the I-20s when they are ready.

5. *A $200.00 SEVIS* fee usually paid prior to applying for your visa.
*/FAST TRAIN will cover this expense for students./* We must have very
accurate information on file for you. A receipt of the SEVIS fee payment
will be sent together with your I-20 form.

Materials should be sent to: Office of International Programs and
Services, George Mason University, Attn: Anisha Woodley, MS: 4C3, 4400
University Drive, Fairfax, VA 22030.

Please also see information on the FAST TRAIN website
(http://gse.gmu.edu/programs/fasttrain/admissions_information/international_students.html)
about student health insurance. Provide necessary documentation as needed.

This process can take up to two months to complete. Therefore *it is
important that you complete this process by April 1 or sooner*.
*P**lease contact Anisha Woodley ([log in to unmask]) if you have questions.

*Leslie