ECJ-INTEREST-L Archives

July 2013

From:
David vun Kannon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 2013 12:33:33 -0400
Hi Sean,
I have to say that I am surprised that crossover-prob has always only referred to uniform crossover per site probability. The parameter is in Tutorial1 for a reason, I would suppose, and that tutorial problem only uses one point crossover. I understand your point that if mutation-prob refers to per site probability, crossover-prob is consistent if it also refers to per site probability. I suppose that just goes against my expectation that even the simplest tutorial would show how to dial the crossover usage up and down. Anyone coming to ECJ after looking at other GA apps or reading the literature would expect that control to be easy and prominently displayed - I certainly did. Even your response below is in agreement with this.
I'm not at all surprised if I've made mistakes, but my purpose is simple. It is to run Tutorial1 without the warning and with the understanding of which parameters to vary in order to acheive an effect such as "invoke the crossover function on 50% of the new individuals, and the mutate function on 25% of the sites." I'm asking the question because it is not obvious from the code or documentation, and I hope it is clear that I've made a good faith effort to educate myself before asking the question.
I'm unclear how the likelihood parameter cannot be crossover specific, given the text of the warning message. If I build a breeding pipeline that has crossover, mutation and inversion operators, what does likelihood control and what doesn't it control?
On the subject of naming, if the parameter controls the probability of a function being invoked in a pipeline, I'd prefer something longer, such as breed-function-invocation-prob to likelihood. To me it is a question of coming back to a file after some time and trying to understand what it is meant to do, or like reading someone else's code. Terseness isn't a virtue, pace Strunk and White.
Cheers,David vun Kannon