ECJ-INTEREST-L Archives

December 2016

From:
Eric 'Siggy' Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Dec 2016 15:15:23 -0600
Hello Enzo,

I created a minimum working example based on your parameter file, which
allowed me to isolate the problem:

When the setup() method for VectorSpecies runs (this happens during
subpopulation initialization), it initializes a "prototype" individual,
which is used to create all future individuals by cloning.  What is
happening is that, as the prototype is initialized, the Gene.reset() method
is called on each gene.  But since the neither the species nor the
population has finished being initialized, your reset() method throws NPE
when it tries to access state.population.species.

I would recommend putting the special functionality you need for your data
somewhere other than in the species.  I often put custom data-related
functions in a custom copy or subclass of SimpleEvolutionState, for
instance.  All you have to do is make sure that the object(s) that hold
your data are initialized before the Population.

Siggy