ECJ-INTEREST-L Archives

July 2013

Sender:
From:
"Day, Charles (SAMHSA/CBHSQ)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 2013 15:21:07 +0000
I think the words you're looking for in English are minimize and maximize.  ECJ maximizes the fitness function; that is, it tries to find individuals with the largest value of the fitness function.  If you want to minimize; that is, the best solution to your problem is the individual with the smallest value of the fitness function, you can simply take the additive or multiplicative inverse of your problem's natural objective function as your fitness.  For example, if I am trying to find the route between two places that involves the fewest left turns, and I have written a function that counts the number of left turns in a route, then I can minimize using ECJ by making my fitness 1/(number of left turns).