ECJ-INTEREST-L Archives

July 2007

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2007 08:59:03 -0400
From:
"Orchard, Bob" <[log in to unmask]>
To: ECJ Evolutionary Computation Toolkit <[log in to unmask]>
My view is that GEP is one more tool in the GP arsenal. I wouldn't say it is just an alternate
encoding. It's probably different enough to be labelled a new approach to the same general
GP ideas ... generate some models, test their applicability (fitness), do some sort of evolution of the
models, etc.

It appears to be quite useful for many problems. Is it better than other approaches? I'm
not sure. All I can say is that it's another tool to try with your problems and see for yourself.
The encoding of expressions is different than others have used and because all expressions
generated are 'valid' expressions it appears to run more quickly in many cases. This allows
you to make more runs with your data and this could lead to improved results.

Our view here is that if there is a tool that might work for our data/problem types then let's
try it to see if it has merit. We will generally try several tools with our data.

Bob Orchard
National Research Council Canada      Conseil national de recherches Canada
Institute for Information Technology  Institut de technologie de l'information
1200 Montreal Road, Building M-50     M50, 1200 chemin Montréal
Ottawa, ON, Canada K1A 0R6            Ottawa (Ontario) Canada K1A 0R6
(613) 993-8557
(613) 952-0215 Fax / télécopieur