ECJ-INTEREST-L Archives

August 2006

From:
Robert Baruch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2006 09:57:24 -0400
Hi Jurie,

I hate messing around with makefiles, which is why I use a
development environment such as JBuilder or Netbeans. Then I just say
"compile everything", and it does it!

For JFreeChart, unzip the package and look in the lib directory.
You'll need to include jfreechart-1.0.1.jar and maybe
jcommon-1.0.0.jar and gnujaxp.jar in your classpath when you compile
and when you run.

For itext, it should just come in a jar file, so you need to include
that in your classpath for compiling and running.

A development environment makes that easier -- you just add those jar
files to the required libraries, and it will take care of the rest.

I think genetic programming is good for evaluation functions. In
fact, that's all genetic programming really does -- generate
functions, whether that function is an evaluation function, an
equation, a function which moves Pac-Man in a game, whatever. Of
course, I've only used GP, and not any other paradigm, so I could be
biased :)

When you have an evaluation function, I'm pretty sure you mean some
function which returns a number which is higher if the board position
is more favorable. GP is perfect for that. But the purpose of an
evaluation function is usually to generate a bunch of hypothetical
board positions, compare the evaluation function (possibly to some
number of moves), and choose the best move based on the results.

What I did was evolve a function which would actually play the game
-- it would make a move. It didn't use minimax or anything like an
evaluation function. I guess it depends on whether your game is more
analytic (less reliant on chance) or probabilistic (more reliant on
chance).

--Rob