ECJ-INTEREST-L Archives

March 2007

Sender:
From:
Petr Posik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2007 05:51:50 -0500
Hi, folks.

I'm new to ECJ, just discovering its basic functionality. Besides, I work in
the field of EDAs. (For those who are not aware of them: they do not use
crossover and mutation, rather they fit a probabilistic model to selected
individuals and create offspring by sampling from that model).

I understand the idea behind pipelines like this:
I need to create N new individuals. I instruct ECJ to run N times (or N/2
times, it depends) e.g. the following pipeline:
1] For each (or each pair of) offspring, ask the mutation to create it (them).
2] Mutation asks crossover to create and individual(s) which it can mutate.
3] Crossover asks selection methods to provide parents.
(If I am wrong, pls. correct me.)

IMHO, to create an EDA in ECJ, I would have to use a huge pipeline since all
the selected individuals become parents of all the offspring produced. It
also means that the pipeline would not be called repeatedly, but only once
per generation.

Does ECJ allow me to do that? How do I set up such a "pipeline for
population" (as opposed to "pipeline for individuals")?

Thanks a lot for any suggestions or pointers.
Best regards,

Petr Posik