ECJ-INTEREST-L Archives

August 2011

Date:
Thu, 11 Aug 2011 10:09:05 -0500
From:
Roger Worden <[log in to unmask]>
8bit
Sender:
Really what I want to do is output some of my variables on the way to calculating fitness, but primarily for the best individual. I'm not using multiple objectives, though I may in the future. To calculate the fitness, I calculate several sub-fitnesses and weight them myself for now. One of them is fairly complex (a dollar cost), and I'd like to output that in addition to the final fitness. I was thinking I could output that only for the final best individual, so it would make sense to do it in finalStatistics, but now I see I would have to replicate my algorithm in there rather than in the fitness object where it belongs, so I guess it's better to just output each sub-fitness variable along the way.

The only reason I was trying to mess with fitness in finalStatistics is that the compiler was telling me it was an abstract class and I was not extending all of the methods it required. Now I see that doesn't make much sense. I'll give up on finalStatistics and work within the Fitness methods.

> For each subpopulation in the population
> 		For each individual in the subpopulation
> 			Cast the individual into the type I'm using
> 			Grab genome information out of that individual and do stuff with it

I thought about this but as I mentioned, being new to OO, it's difficult to figure out what variables are available in objects and what they do. The class documentation seems to be automatically created and documents what they are but not what they mean. Code samples are helpful and greatly appreciated!

Thanks.