BIS-L Archives

August 2010

BIS-L@LISTSERV.GMU.EDU

From:
"Stephanie A. Barnett" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephanie A. Barnett
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 2010 11:55:15 -0400
Hi everyone,

Welcome to the Fall 2010 semester!  Below you will find a few items of
interest - including some key steps for success this semester.

Save the date!

The BIS Welcome Reception will be held on Thursday, September 9th from
6:30-7:30pm in Enterprise Hall, room 300.  Come join us to celebrate the
start of the academic year.  Light refreshments will be provided.

Steps for Success (in any semester):

1. Check your GMU email (or have it forwarded to a personal account)
   a. This advice is very important.  University policy states that all
communications must go through your GMU email.  If you do not already have
your GMU email forwarded to a personal account I recommend you do so as to
not miss out on any important messages from your professors, the BIS office,
the Registrar’s office, etc.  To setup email forwarding, follow the steps below:
      i. Login to your email at mail.gmu.edu
      ii. Click on the “Options” tab (on the top menu)
      iii. Click on the “Settings” link (on the left menu)
      iv. Type your personal email in the “Mail forwarding” box
      v. Click “Save changes”

2. Meet with an academic advisor
   a.	It is advised that you meet with a BIS advisor AT LEAST once per
semester.  In these appointments the advisor can ensure that you are on
track with your requirements and answer any questions you have about
university policies, procedures, etc.  Phone or in-person appointments can
be scheduled by calling the BIS office (703-993-4556) or emailing me
([log in to unmask]).  Evening appointments are available Monday-Thursday,
with the last appointment time at 6:30pm.

3. Review the Fall 2010 Academic Calendar
   a.	You can find important university dates and deadlines here:
http://registrar.gmu.edu/calendars/2010Fall.html

4. Use University services
   a.	The University has a range of services to assist you including
outstanding writing tutors at the Writing Center
(http://writingcenter.gmu.edu/), supportive counselors at the Counseling and
Psychological Services (http://caps.gmu.edu/), and expert advisors at Career
Services (http://careers.gmu.edu/). These and other resources can help you
manage the challenges of the semester.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact me.

All the best,

--
Stephanie Barnett
Student Services Manager