Dear graduate students,
Please see below for possible opportunities in Biostatistics at the University of Utah.
Department of Statistics
Volgenau School of Engineering
George Mason University
4400 University Drive, MS 4A7
Fairfax, VA 22030-4444
Office: Nguyen Engineering Building, Room 1708
I hope this email finds you well. I left Johns Hopkins in 2020 and I am now the Chief of the Division of Biostatistics in the Department of Population Health Sciences at the University
of Utah School of Medicine. As a relatively new Division, we are looking to recruit PhD students, post-docs and faculty (at all levels) and hoping that you might be able to help us by spreading the word about our Division to your students and colleagues.
If you have a moment, I’d like to share with you some information about our division:
- We are a tight knit entrepreneurial group of five faculty and have plans to more than double in size over the next five years.
- We address important population health problems through deep collaborations with researchers at the University of Utah and
- We have deep connections with the Division of Epidemiology within the Department of Internal Medicine, the Division of Pediatric
Critical Care within the Department of Pediatrics, the Huntsman Cancer Institute, the Veterans Administration, and Intermountain Healthcare.
- We conduct methodological research that is motivated by the problems we encounter during our collaborations.
- We have an internationally diverse PhD student body, who receive training both in the classroom and through mentored collaboration.
- The Department of Population Health Sciences includes two other divisions: Health System Innovation and Research and Cancer
- The Department is deeply committed to work-life balance and equity, diversity and inclusion.
- We are surrounded by large databases that can be used to address important scientific questions. For example,
- The Utah Population Database (UPBD) is the world’s largest resource for tracking diseases in families, with more than 11 million
people in large, multigenerational pedigrees, linked to tens of millions of medically relevant records.
- The Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW) contains data extracted from many of the institution’s disparate source systems, including
patient, visit, clinical, operational, financial, and research data. It contains data on more than 2.5 million patients.
- The Veterans Administration (VA) Informatics and Computing Infrastructure (VINCI) provides researchers with access to all VA
electronic health data and additional unique data sets, covering over 9 million Veterans, and high powered cloud computing infrastructure and tools.
- We are located in Salt Lake City, Utah, which is a vibrant and progressive city. It is at the intersection of the desert and
mountains and has close proximity to amazing national parks. It is a gateway to outdoor activities, including skiing, biking, hiking, climbing, camping. Utah is one of the most rapidly growing states economically and it has a growing tech sector called “Silicon
If you are interested in learning more, I would love to talk with you.
Division of Biostatistics
Department of Population Health Sciences