From: Jiayang Sun via American Statistical Association <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Saturday, January 22, 2022 12:02 PM
To: Jiayang Sun <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Statistics Academic Representives : The 1st International Cherry Blossom Prediction Competition

Dear Colleagues - We will be grateful if you could help share the following information with your colleagues and students. =========== The 1st... -posted to the "Caucus of Academic Representatives" community

Caucus of Academic Representatives

The 1st International Cherry Blossom Prediction Competition
Jiayang Sun
Jan 22, 2022 12:03 PM  |  attachment  view attached
Jiayang Sun
Dear Colleagues - We would be grateful if you could help share the following information with your colleagues and students.

===========
The 1st International Cherry Blossom Prediction Competition

We are pleased to announce a new international prediction competition "When will the cherry trees bloom?" Compete for prizes of up to $5,000 and help scientists better understand the impacts of climate change! The competition is open to all.

The competition organizers will provide all the publicly available data on the bloom date of cherry trees they can find. Competitors will use this data, in combination with any other publicly available data, to create reproducible predictions of the bloom dates at four locations around the globe

The competition is open throughout February 2022 and aims for all statisticians and data scientists, from experts to students just beginning to use statistical software. Complete submissions include a short narrative and a link to a publicly accessible Git repository.

For complete details or to contact the organizers, please visit https://competition.statistics.gmu.edu. A recording of the kickoff event is available on the competition website.

A big thanks to the American Statistical Association, Caucus for Women in Statistics, and George Mason University's Department of Statistics for their support, and partnerships with the International Society of Biometeorology, MeteoSwiss, USA National Phenology Network, and the Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival-as well as Mason's Institute for a Sustainable Earth, Institute for Digital InnovAtion  (with a capital A) and the Department of Modern and Classical Languages. Sponsors and partners will be updated on the website.

Organizers: Jonathan Auerbach and David Kepplinger (George Mason University) and Elizabeth Wolkovich (University of British Columbia)

Jiayang Sun, PhD
Professor, Chair and Bernard Dunn Eminent Scholar
Department of Statistics, George Mason University
4400 University Dr.
Fairfax, VA 22032