Dear Students and Colleagues,

Every year, the world loses countless lives to anti-transgender violence. In the past year, there have been 381 reported cases of deaths to anti-trans violence worldwide. To honor them, we remember and speak about their lives and fight to prevent the repetition of their stories.

Trans Day of Remembrance was started in 1999 by transgender advocate Gwendolyn Ann Smith as a vigil to honor the memory of Rita Hester, a transgender woman who was killed in 1998. The vigil commemorated all the transgender people lost to violence since Rita Hester's death and began an important tradition that is Transgender Day of Remembrance. In honor of Transgender Day of Remembrance, Pride Alliance, LGBTQ+ Resources, and Women and Gender Studies wish to pay our respect to the 381 trans individuals that have been killed in the last year. Join us Thursday, November 18th at 7 pm in the SUB I Quad as we remember and mourn the lives lost over a candlelight vigil.

Women & Gender Studies Center
MSN 5B6
Johnson Center 240K
703.993.2896