This report covers the period September 1, 2020 through August 31, 2021. We continue with solid performance for the first two months of FY22.

Expenditures:  We had a record $73.6M in expenditures over the 12-month period compared to $57.9M for the comparable period last year. The previous record was $69M set in April 2020 at the beginning of the pandemic.  ECE, RPRC, and the Dean’s Office all set records. C4I&Cyber had its best performance since May 2020, CARE its best since August 2019, and CSIS its best since July 2020.

Awards:  We had $49.2M in awards over the 12-month period compared to $69.6M for the comparable period last year. Even though that is down significantly year-to-year, we are hopefully now on a trajectory to recover. RPRC received a significant award in September (which will show up in next month’s report) after receiving an $8.3M award in July. We anticipate additional significant RPRC awards in the next 60 days. CS had its best performance since June 2020.

Proposals:  We had $158.3M in proposals over the 12-month period compared to $149.5M a year ago. C-TASC and CYSE, our newest organizations, submitted $1.2M and $1.6M in proposals just last month. RPRC set a record.

Indirect:  We received a near-record $7.32M in indirect over the 12-month period compared to $6.5M for the comparable period last year. We have now received over $7M for each of the 12-month periods since March 2021.

Regards.

Dr. Art Pyster

Associate Dean for Research and Professor

College of Engineering and Computing

George Mason University

703-717-8110