Dear all,

Please find below the schedule for the fall – for those new to the department, and as a reminder for everyone else, this is a workshop where we meet to discuss drafts-in-progress.  Papers are circulated about a week before the workshop, and the session is devoted to discussion of the draft – there are not formal presentations.  All are welcome – it is a chance for faculty and graduate students to discuss the craft of research and writing in a collaborative, informal setting.  As you’ll see, one of the three papers this semester will be from a visiting doctoral student – in the past we have had a number of doctoral students present drafts of their dissertation chapters, and I think they have all got a lot of out of it, and found it an enjoyable chance to get feedback on their work.  So please keep an eye out for the call for presenters in the Spring!

In any case, at the moment I think it makes sense to meet via Zoom for these sessions.  If things change, we can adjust shortly before any given meeting.  I’ll circulate the papers and a link about a week in advance of the meeting.

Best,

Sam

MHW Schedule

September 8 at 1pm: Laura Díaz-Esteve will present a chapter of her dissertation: “The Filipino Revolution in Anglo-American Imperial Public Spheres (1896-1902)” (Laura is a Doctoral student at Universitat Pompeu Fabra, visiting us as a Fulbright scholar this semester.)

Oct 6 at noon: Peter Stearns, “Manners in Modern World History”

Nov 2 at noon:  Steven Barnes, “TBA”