It’s that time of year where we are seeking Alternative Break Trip Leaders for our upcoming Alternative Breaks for Spring and Summer 2022! Please share this and help us to recruit our next group of Alternative Break Trip Leaders for 2021-2022 through Social Action and Integrative Learning (SAIL)! Application will be due August 15th and the position description can be found here: Alternative Break Leader Position Description<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tV1QsIiJeOCN3GfD_LZ8qDkhuZd64GNjdxYEnt3eWfc/edit>

Mason’s Alternative Break (AB) programs are collaboratively designed by students, community organizations and staff to address social issues through education and direct service.  Students emerge from these experiences transformed with new ideas, perspective, and experiences that inspire active and engaged citizenship. Students work in partnership with host organizations on community-driven goals, focused on a particular social justice topic. Through exploration and immersion into the social issue long before the trip starts, students are able to interrogate thec root causes of social issues in a way that allows them to engage compassionately and think critically. Upon their return, students are encouraged to engage in their own communities through informed, meaningful action.

As the future of this pandemic is uncertain and ever changing, we are keeping an eye on what is possible but we are planning to be in person for the majority of our trips with a new trip that combines DC and Amsterdam that will be a hybrid experience over the Summer 2022 where you can be in person, attend fully virtually or do a hybrid approach where you attend the DC portion virtually and the Amsterdam portion virtually as best we can.

We plan to offer six programs focused on social justice issues as diverse as ecosystem restoration to indigenous rights, housing insecurity, public health, education, and more. Our partners are eager to have us back in person and we will do our best to ensure the safety of all participants.

Spring 2022 March 12-19th
The Changing Landscape: An Exploration on Gentrification and Immigration Policy<https://sail.gmu.edu/alternative-break/alternative-break-trips/the-changing-landscape-an-exploration-on-gentrification-and-immigration-policy-must-be-a-residential-student>
The Color of Justice: Mass Incarceration & Environmental Justice in Camden, NJ<https://sail.gmu.edu/alternative-break/alternative-break-trips/camden>
Ecosystem Restoration: Stuart, Florida<https://sail.gmu.edu/alternative-break/alternative-break-trips/stuart>
Unlocking the Dream: Food Justice and Community Activism in Atlanta, GA<https://sail.gmu.edu/alternative-break/alternative-break-trips/unlocking-the-dream-food-justice-and-community-activism-atlanta-ga>

Summer 2022 (Tentatively May 21-31st)
Indigenous Culture, Education, and Equity: Guatemala<https://sail.gmu.edu/alternative-break/alternative-break-trips/guatemala>
It’s Not Them but Us - Turning the Tide on HIV and AIDS: Washington, DC and Amsterdam (Hybrid Option)<https://sail.gmu.edu/alternative-break/alternative-break-trips/washington-dc>

Alternative Break Leaders Needed – Apply Today!
We are currently hiring Alternative Break Leaders and hope you will share this with others or consider applying to be an Alternative Break Leader. Please visit the Alternative Break Leader Position Description<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tV1QsIiJeOCN3GfD_LZ8qDkhuZd64GNjdxYEnt3eWfc/edit> to learn more about what this entails. The application will be due August 15th. We hope you will consider applying today to help us to create these impactful trip experiences. Our goal is to take time during the class to focus on planning for these experiences so that your time working outside of class on this will be minimal.

Time commitment

  *   Varies between 2-4 hours per week
  *   1 credit mandatory course in Fall 2020 (INTS 294: Alternative Breaks Wednesdays from 1:30-2:45)  (note- can be taken for 0 credits) **

  *   2 pre-trip orientations and 1 post-trip reorientation event
  *   Trip Leader Retreat (TBD)
  *   2-3 pre-trip meetings with participants
  *   Lead Alternative Break Trip March 14-20, 2022 (Spring) May 18-30, 2022* (Summer)

*Tentative dates

**Priority will be given to those that are able to attend the class but there may be options around independent study decided on an individual basis.

The application is open and you can apply here today: https://sail.gmu.edu/alternative-break/applications-and-information

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. Or visit our website to find spotlights of some of our previous trip leaders and participants to learn more about their experience! https://sail.gmu.edu/alternative-break/alternative-break-trips We hope you will consider applying and being a part of this continued reimagining for Alternative Breaks as we work hard to ensure social responsibility and care with our partners and communities we have been interacting with for many years.

With gratitude,
SAIL Alternative Breaks Team

Patty Mathison  (she/her/hers)
Director
Social Action and Integrative Learning (SAIL)
Mason's Center for Community Engagement
School of Integrative Studies (SIS)
George Mason University, Enterprise Hall 439
Fairfax, VA 22030

w: sail.gmu.edu
b: http://secure-web.cisco.com/1Cny30rKaqjzYUW9pYam7Im-53LFPgQyjmNhef9qjnp47w-qz9m_WkmMoR317ap0wzxzfTFtvWJRa_aQTmD2uHD_Lw5RuVb8uqSNmUmHmMHDGKmFkEC189W25c2reoKAxfk0ijB-stJ_fdazfFFWb37F2bj0iROnnWpzYEkSG4CL-IdfVe5Hx-gjYlRWr4yNi7SmjtLQmWhdjftn3fA5gtUWL7kTAlNYXZSjxq7B_3OyzYhF70QyheGUWBSp1aAi4L6N2zTNXDJEr5i1cO25zZzuCOmev-1V7Ycdu66IqKjo9YVrR8AoXSdacQ_FoibVavBva_YVvC-xWDkgN-r0oz2OAUJTiUJt2zPEig1Ugiv67IxctsZObUsfUnAS0mMtW-qE2RhCtzcizkFF4an1qQaiEl56HnKT6Nbse-mHx2x5t8GDmO6O3swaF01bqBPMlwsKufl8BoBAG4N2KkvYxiw/http%3A%2F%2Fsailgmu1.wordpress.com%2F<http://secure-web.cisco.com/1V6yCsHUhBahMY17iOsP0T2zuOO6UW8X2Ng2uiI8TGC2-DA-7MNoflIHm1cY533AidnBXrBgOC1XOwShJgA2OcDCSduthXnYSOmN115fqI5ALXTo41Y9Jg_xd7T3hXT23d9Z64g9tIR1VA7vPIl9rlyP1gajgy7cQH9c_HGLzXvUnE6mOLWWDusb0fwPGGD4WzabmZGPaZ1kud9WyX6JQKj-2j6-49FFgGE5CD7f1HM89ILYvz38XK_8GhcJq-d7R0i4ndcrV4s1tFEZYQTnkJxvNDfILTPs4Viu1SZK2hpxXfRBLbKyTP5lkqlpCN1TKXIOJ7veE80O93seELeCEjONrFuV4V9vR2AsDqdi6th9Isu8JszO_Nactby5-OaA09JHL6xioArQykbFDceQCWBQH2pVwGb0g7bQoJhVmu7PTQ2FeA7NBs-9fAU9TbNzK/http%3A%2F%2Fsailgmu1.wordpress.com%2F>

Belief | Adaptability | Developer | Individualization | Activator

Serve. Learn. Lead. Discover.

Please note: due to my schedule, I often email outside of traditional working hours. Please do not feel any pressure to respond outside of your own working pattern.