From: Center for Humanities Research <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Center for Humanities Research <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, May 7, 2021 12:40 PM

Subject: CHR news and opportunities-final message of the semester

Dear Colleagues, Students, and Friends,

We are delighted to announce next year’s CHR Residential Fellows, all of whom take up the theme of “Pasts/Presents/Futures.” It was a very strong pool of applicants and the decision was not easy for the steering committee. We did, however, notice that several departments with strong humanities were not represented in the applicant pool; we hope to have applications from a broader range of disciplines next time!

Fall 2021:
Faculty:
Yasemin Ipek (Global Affairs), "Crisiswork: Civil Society Activism, Ethical Citizenship, and Class Mobility in Lebanon"

Michael G. Malouf (English), "Oil and Cultures of Transition"

Brian Platt (History), “Wind, Worms and Weeds: Rescuing the Past in Early Modern Japan”

Vanessa Schulman (Art History), "The Past, Present, and Future of Emancipation: Vincent Colyer and Thomas Nast Envision Freedom in 1863"

Graduate:
Eric Ross (Cultural Studies), “Remembering Democracy: Activist Museums and the Politics of Memory"

Spring 2022:
Faculty:
Emily Brennan-Moran (Communication), "Naming the Dead: Performing Memory Beyond Monumentality"

Jacqueline M. Burek (English), "Memory and History in Medieval Britain, c. 800-c. 1400"

J. Samaine Lockwood (English), "Queer Routes: Sexuality, Feminism, and Racialized History in American Culture, 1865-1950"

Yevette Richards Jordan (History), "The Intimacy of Racial Violence in Northern Louisiana: Tracing Terror through Family Networks"

Matthew Scherer (Schar School), "Imprecise Words: On the Entanglement of Religion and Democracy"

Graduate:
Greta Swain (History), “Potomac Bound: A Spatial Analysis of Enslavers and Networkers (1780–1825)”

Please provide us with feedback on our first year!

Thank you to those of you who have already provided feedback via our CHR end of year one survey. There’s still time to submit, if you haven’t had a chance yet— please do so by Monday 5/10 via this link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfjTogtwz_il6ndxRWXqR5CaphRgQtc6wIUXNuQBJ27HHYifQ/viewform?usp=sf_link

There will be a faculty writing group this summer — please let us know if you’d like to join!
We've been approached by faculty members interested in a humanities-focused writing group for faculty. Ideally, the group would meet twice per month and would provide an opportunity to share work in progress and to engage in intellectual discussion around each member's project(s). Please email me if you would be interested in participating: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Considering joining a reading group now or next year? Take a look at the list on our website and contact the coordinator!

https://chr.gmu.edu/reading-groups-and-working-groups/

Please follow us on social media!
Instagram: https://secure-web.cisco.com/1gDipsKtZnPgKQWwcPsaDt6gU54-sidXAOxTA4PABUQqhNmWohmG8tyeOIAnm65H-2Nh3FX-j0KruWV4LXK4gjdQeObr3elVFre0A3g-YXv0tUhrXp0nSo0GHXdbJCwaoNvh4vzKTRNz9wCYiqmNPPdulzerF2pKNXqrEDebVZ-Xf1mGwqibAmdN31huzyZMNQDGaKjcW7pmxTNaY_C_Y_0lN1jg9oXOG-kZLv3GLW6nyXpQxBYsXNZ2Ch-GEkcKko6WHkqosnVksKO0bWHpmbR7hd69zbmvHtAp1VLssSB8F4ZiAPiX9yXoTPE2AoPpEZ6cCwVslMDAQMGMeDaZiBM5k5m6NzPwe7kqXizEGoI6QxGgxfxRMPSdL7bYj1KT4M5ws6TdNXTVLI3EZ5KH8bvQPOhDoGkBWwPJ48MRfC_Stmg1feCum38H6OtrfkCy2/https%3A%2F%2Fwww.instagram.com%2Fgeorgemasonchr%2F<https://secure-web.cisco.com/1BTVE4bmlEzrDurGLSzdb5Cx1NCriCWCYpCdAz09BUZWGvjT5dwsrsGeQa34Xlpy0oxvkLbLpTgHKlQWAexABQpboaA7X_xciiPubyxUpsD6rIpTHnVWxub5yoDgcVoBT7M4pfZ5Whl6I968GGN837EGRGPyZXdnnZVcNnmYY9SWj2ah-uEuGCuaTQdMAAKsDG0fF7yuewmBPlLzkx_WO2wiv7cBwHMewVDTl-Fos7D4a72KHZqO-TwBUA_M5-CF8O6GB2ksfC8OI89cUr4SmnEg4_LHc6-TM6iLAnno4jF02ibNHPJoLZpvvmj-RVSfyt7tzrdD_TzqixHRuRdnOM-XCyBoiLIh5VjiafGfV3GpHgeO6VnuTQJB4RGJk4gRe8YwKRAdNMXxC--C_Ux5gJja5HlydYoTS6eWqFVCoK_5pgO7y1vI9OgnNf0NKD38QqEy4zRn8VY9-Ln1lL2JzNQ/https%3A%2F%2Fwww.instagram.com%2Fgeorgemasonchr%2F>
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GeorgeMasonUniversityCHR
Twitter: https://secure-web.cisco.com/179LhLw9efQ7vxaEN4WKGFmCZXQlVl024UvgHbppsjgEF79NaHoXE5ZZkIKLJGTotZK0PTkn_RJbgDSu-QVtXzpRYcPiCU8W_UI_uJ-whreF3B4Hwnrr1FKjavh9Np6isMDwnqIVGnhks8jsXUjee-mNZI50em4mtGb3g9rVb68UFJPHdO3YFu4o1X4YK0wzaWfZWos04qeinhBLvVoV5y8efAEiwKQXr5x_AymCBbzS0zTF3ZN7kgtIu0YZweAbZikazVtUftvit1giXwAg8ZrdaFbQIwweaPG3mm40wX5DcM7pIjEKHxIAh1qFFptRFvU45CDWmbCiSg3v0BCaYaqBGZdMQlGNsvXTFreOco64yDOgJBREXT6XhEmFHUHDw0VYHPsFgDYlkj4aBrx-uMSVU6Xd3b1FVJCAAjB82juq8b6VB_F07aKs0z6Zoe_FmmYjnIs6rx8M-0-jKeRdlAw/https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FCHR_GMU<https://secure-web.cisco.com/1UAjOtjfQJjCEtvAG3OGSTjRzjj4QPY_c7CU_fWIQ8x2ZmTDnFN3Mhqzl55e6jAS3n2qAhlZ0iv46swtwLZAT3uYAr0hITFczN4uwgtQ3b8R3GAOwS_AkuiYIUaPsJW2tebb9uMIGSvyOqVps3AX8u6obQUXKtAqOrUH04a6dNvhiluzNbd01LteB6jvfjv_-HaXdN6Q0gjliCwkQoTqQbwnbAZAjhR2B1Hz8RpCODFk2LwcC80WxqnMufzOqq9i8o_Ce4mbKHMueWSGw-A2AUXobY7D7EowVxJEqs0PzHwlelFn7Lq_CCWHH9yn9pg4MidYDX7LOGqFXibEP0wsYhOABoI_XkILC65fZ5OZUTDAatcdprnCB_jEZ_QT9NVC_d0JcDD38q0ZyAuviYXs7UWmTzQsrwEVg7rLQQaSPocyzLsVCn_MnShiIG0z5kIyq1eK6oKB_K03srz0mtzMg4w/https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FCHR_GMU>

We can’t thank you all enough for your enthusiasm, participation, and overall intellectual energy! You’ve helped us launch this new center and we are profoundly grateful to you! We hope you all have a productive, healthy—and also relaxing—summer and we look forward to welcoming you to the CHR in person in the fall! We’ll be on the 6th floor of Horizon Hall!

Take care,
Director Alison Landsberg and Associate Director Catherine Olien

Center for Humanities Research (CHR)
Website: https://chr.gmu.edu