Please join us for the our next all-virtual KRYPTON seminar. We will meet at the usual time, 1600h, on Friday April 9, 2021.

You can check Krypton events through our calendar at:
[log in to unmask]&ctz=America/New_York&pli=1" class="">https:[log in to unmask]&ctz=America/New_York&pli=1

Krypton Seminar Series - Spring 2021

Date: April 9, 2021
Time: 4:00PM - 5:30PM

Venue: All remote

Link for remote participation: https://gmu.zoom.us/j/92356938266

Bob Aarhus
Phd Candidate, Systems Engineering and Operations Research, GMU

Title —
Development of a Longitudinal Model to Evaluate Decision Regret in the Treatment of Human Papillomavirus-Positive (HPV-Positive) Oropharyngeal Cancer

Abstract —
Decision regret is a well-studied phenomenon in medicine.  It is frequently seen in the treatment of certain cancers, particularly in prostate cancer and cancers of the head and neck.  Decision regret is associated with increased patient depression, decline in general health, and distrust of future medical interventions.  To the best of our knowledge, no model, pre- or post-decisional, can identify whether a specific patient will experience treatment regret.  However, a post-decisional model can identify conditions in the decision space where regret is likely to occur for given counterfactual expectations.  In this presentation of a work in progress, I will discuss how I explored the characteristics and trajectory of decision regret across multiple cancer studies; developed a concise longitudinal model for localized prostate cancer to analyze decision regret dynamics; and propose steps to expand this model for HPV-positive oropharyngeal cancer to understand the relationship of decision regret as it applies to both patient choice and key structural elements of the healthcare system.  The insights gained from these models will help patients, family members, surrogates, and providers to manage expectations for outcomes given their individual treatment preferences to reduce the incidence of decision regret.

Bio — Bob Aarhus began working in the medical field in 1983.  He is a retired Army Medical Service Corps Officer with assignments and experience in field medicine, clinical and anatomic pathology, medical information management, and software acquisition and development for healthcare decision support systems.  He holds certifications in DAWIA Level III Program Management and is a Project Management Professional.  He earned a bachelor’s degree in Biology from Carnegie Mellon University in 1984, and a master’s degree in Biomedical Engineering from the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill in 1998. He is currently a PhD candidate in the Systems Engineering Operations Research Department at GMU.

Zoom Link
https://gmu.zoom.us/j/92356938266

Meeting ID: 923 5693 8266
One tap mobile
+12678310333,,92356938266# US (Philadelphia)
+13017158592,,92356938266# US (Washington DC)

Dial by your location
        +1 267 831 0333 US (Philadelphia)
        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
Meeting ID: 923 5693 8266