Hello fellow CS PhD students,

My name is Kyle Jackson and I am currently the CS PhD representative on The Graduate and Professional Student Association (GAPSA) assembly at Mason. The assembly consists of graduate student representatives from across all of Mason. We are soliciting nominations for one individual to fill this role (I will not be seeking re-election) for the 2021-2022 school year. If you think you would be a good fit for the position, please send me an email stating that you would like to be considered in the election and provide a summary of why you think you should hold the position. The deadline for nominations is May 10, 2021. The list of nominees with their summaries will be sent out May 11, 2021. The election, which will be done via an online survey tool, is tentatively scheduled for the week of May 17.

Some additional details about being a GAPSA rep:

  *   This is an unpaid position considered to be service
  *   You are expected to attend 3-4 GAPSA meetings each semester of the school year you are elected, each meeting lasting 1.5 hours. Meetings consist of presentations from university leadership and engaging with them on important issues relevant to graduate students (benefits, pay, housing, diversity and inclusion, etc.), discussing relevant issues, and representing all CS PhD students on a variety of matters. For example, when the University was considering whether to have an additional week of break before or after the Spring 2021 semester since spring break was being removed, they asked GAPSA for input.
  *   GAPSA reps can be nominated either directly by the CS Department Chair or via an election. Our Chair, Prof. Rosenblum, has approved of having an election this year to fill the position. If you are elected to this position, you are expected to coordinate with the Chair on how they would like to fill the position for the next academic year. If the Chair would like the position filled via an election, you are expected to organize the election for the CS PhD representative position at the end of the academic year you were elected for (in this case, the 2021-2022 school year). You will then inform GAPSA leadership of the results. There are no term limits, so you can seek re-election. Integrity is critical here since the elected representative is responsible for organizing an election for which they may be a candidate in.

Feel free to email me any questions or concerns.

Thank you,
Kyle Jackson