PhD Students—

Fall 2021 registration for graduate students began on Tuesday, April 20th<https://registrar.gmu.edu/calendars/fall_2021/>. In this email you will find information for individualized sections and coursework that is particularly relevant to Computer Science PhD students. Additionally, please remember that CS 530/CS 531 may not be taken by CS PhD students for credit.

CS 600
There is currently a registration hold on CS 600 so PhD CS students can receive priority registration. This hold will be lifted today (4/23) at 5:00 PM to allow Master’s students to register. If you would like to register, please respond to this email immediately with your full name and G number as soon as possible so we can issue an override.

Please remember that CS 600 is a course requirement that must be satisfied prior to advancement to candidacy.  If you have any questions please let us know.

CS 747 or CS 795
While these courses are currently available, please note that they do not have instructors assigned.  As a result, there is a possibility that one (or both) of these may be canceled.  Please keep this in mind when making your plans.

CS 697 or CS 896

  1.  Complete the Individualized Section form, found here<https://cs.gmu.edu/media/uploads/programs/graduate/individualizedsection.pdf>.
     *   You may not register for CS 896<https://catalog.gmu.edu/search/?scontext=all&search=cs+896> until you have successfully completed your Breadth Requirement.
  2.  If you intend to take CS 697, please complete the “Course Description” portion of the form.
  3.  Once complete, including the Instructor’s signature or written permission from the instructor, send the Individualized Section Form to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

A CRN will not be provided without a complete form.

CS 998 or CS 999

Please note that you may not register for CS 999 until you have passed your dissertation proposal and fully advanced to candidacy.

If this is your first semester taking CS 998, please reply to this email with the following:

  1.  G Number
  2.  Course you wish to register for (CS 998)
  3.  Advisor’s Name

Below, you will find helpful links that expand on your degree requirements in addition to registration guides found on the Registrar’s Office website<https://registrar.gmu.edu/students/registration/>.

How to Register for Courses:

  1.  Online Registration Guide<https://registrar.gmu.edu/wp-content/uploads/Registration-Instructions_4-2-21.pdf>
  2.  Register for Classes in Patriot Scheduler<https://registrar.gmu.edu/students/registration/patriot-scheduler/>

How to Waitlist for Courses:

  1.  Waitlist Guide<https://registrar.gmu.edu/topics/waitlists/>
  2.  How to Check Your Waitlist Position<https://registrar.gmu.edu/students/patriot-web-tutorials/interactive-demo-waitlist-position/>

Breadth Requirements:

  1.  Breadth Requirements<https://cs.gmu.edu/current-students/doctoral-students/breadth-requirement/>
  2.  List of Breadth Courses<https://cs.gmu.edu/current-students/doctoral-students/breadth-requirement/list-of-courses-for-satisfying-breadth-requirement/>

PhD Milestones & Deadlines:

  1.  Milestones & Deadlines<https://cs.gmu.edu/current-students/doctoral-students/milestones-and-deadlines/>

PhD Degree Requirements:

  1.  Mason Catalog<https://catalog.gmu.edu/>
  2.  PhD Degree Requirements<https://catalog.gmu.edu/colleges-schools/engineering/computer-science/computer-science-phd/#requirementstext>
  3.  Course Requirements<https://cs.gmu.edu/current-students/doctoral-students/degree-requirements/course-requirements/>

Please contact us here at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> if you run into any unexplained errors when registering for our courses. We are always available via e-mail or you are welcome to request a virtual appointment with an advisor. We will be happy to assist and answer your questions, whether registration-related or otherwise.

Department of Computer Science
George Mason University
Nguyen Engineering Building, Suite 4300
4400 University Drive, MS 4A5