From: Deepthi Murali <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wednesday, April 7, 2021 at 12:12 PM
To: Sam Lebovic <[log in to unmask]>, Robert DeCaroli <[log in to unmask]>, Jessica Dauterive <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Talk 3 of IOW Material Histories Seminar: Visualizing Textile Circulation in the Dutch Global Market, 1602-1795 (April 08, Thursday, 12pm EST)

Dear Sam, Rob, and Jessica,

I would be very grateful if you could circulate the next talk of the IOW Material Histories happening tomorrow, April 08 at 12pm EST. This is a talk on digital art history practices and so I hope more broadly applicable to the History and Art History student community.

In this talk Carrie Anderson and Marsely Kehoe will discuss their digital art history project on transoceanic circulation of South Asian textiles. The central component of their ongoing digital art history project, “Visualizing Textile Circulation in the Dutch Global Market, 1602-1795,” is an online Visual Glossary of historic textiles. This resource unites three different data types (textual, visual, and material) and provides users with open access to data, images, and dynamic visualizations. In this presentation, Dr. Anderson and Dr. Kehoe will introduce their project's working proof-of-concept, which incorporates over 10,000 data points drawn from Dutch East and West India Company records between the years 1710 and 1715. They will discuss not only the challenges of building data sets from archival sources, but also the semantic implications of historic and cotemporary data structures. They will also talk about the process of building interactive web applications, which were made by Middlebury College undergraduate students using the programming language R over the course of a 4-week pilot course called “Data Science Across Disciplines.”

For more information and link to register, please visit our website. Please contact Deepthi Murali at [log in to unmask] if you have any questions.

Warmly,

Deepthi

Deepthi Murali

Post-Doctoral Research Fellow

Roy Rosenzweig Center for History and New Media

Department of History and Art History

George Mason University

World History Commons

Consolation Prize US History Podcast