From: Center for Humanities Research <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Center for Humanities Research
Sent: Monday, April 5, 2021 9:00 AM

Subject: CHR news and opportunities-fellowship and funding info

Dear Colleagues, Students, and Friends,

We have lots of information in this newsletter—please read through!

We've launched CHR Instagram and Facebook pages (in addition to our active Twitter account) and would love for you to give us a like or follow to stay informed about CHR news and updates on these platforms.The links should come through, but if they don't, here they are again

Apply to be a CHR fellow for fall 2021 and spring 2022! You will be released from two courses the semester you are a fellow so that you can focus on writing and on participating in the intellectual life of the CHR. Our theme for next year is….

Pasts/Presents/Futures

Since March of 2020 we have been living in what political theorist Elizabeth Povinelli might call a “durative present.” In some ways the past, or pre-times, feels irretrievably lost, and the future unimaginable, just beyond our grasp. But it is equally true that this durative present has revealed that much of what we thought to be past, over and done with, lives on in the present. The Black Lives Matter protests, for instance, have made publicly visible how past racial violence infuses the present, what Saidiya Hartman has called the “afterlives of slavery.” And neither, we have learned, does the future unfold as we think it will. Furthermore, our attempts to articulate distinctions between pasts, presents and futures, are predicated on conceptions of time and temporality that are neither neutral nor fixed. Conceptions of time have, historically, delimited what we are able and unable to see, lending certain events, peoples, and subjectivities visibility while pushing others into obscurity. Temporal formations can constrain, do violence, or create possibilities; they can be mobilized in ways that normalize, or as strategies of resistance. Temporality permeates humanistic studies across periods, disciplines, genres and geopolitical regions.

The Center for Humanities Research invites applications from faculty and advanced PhD candidates whose research takes up temporal encounters between pasts, presents, and futures in the broadest possible sense. We are open to all proposals that engage substantially with temporality as a theme (rather than primarily as a fact of research) and the problematic of past/present/future, including those that might address any of the following questions: What does the present tense open or foreclose, and for whom? Do societies, religions, states, individuals have an obligation to the past? To the future? How has that obligation been articulated in the many archives of the past (narrative, image, speech, ritual or performance)? Is there an ethics of remembering? What is the temporality of change, and how is it initiated? What are the contours of futurity? How, and in what contexts, is it possible to imagine a different future?

These semester-long fellowships provide two course-releases (for tenure-line faculty) and tuition and stipend (for PhD students) and require residency at the Center (participation in regular meetings with the cohort of fellows, public presentation of research, and attendance at all Center events). We will accept fellows from as wide a range of disciplines, departments, and programs as possible working on projects related to our theme.  Applications are due on Friday, April 16thFor more information on how to apply: https://chr.gmu.edu/2021-2022-chr-residential-fellowships-faculty-and-graduate-student/

Apply for Summer 2021 Research Grants

Applicants may apply for a grant of up to $5,000 to support humanities-related research. All tenure track and term faculty members (on a 9-month contract) are eligible to apply.  The due date is this Friday, April 9th. Please note that in any given year a faculty member may not receive both a CHR residential fellowship and summer funding. Tenure-line faculty who apply for both can only take up one award in any given year. For more information: https://chr.gmu.edu/summer-2021-research-grants/

Upcoming Fellow Research Presentations:

Faculty Fellow Research Talk: Wednesday, April 7th, 3-4pm

Nathaniel Greenberg (Modern and Classical Languages) on “Social Photography as Protest Photography in Colonial Era Iraq"

Join Zoom Meeting https://gmu.zoom.us/j/92703806044?pwd=MXdwRjVzZlZrT0xsUFFQaHVXRUVzQT09

Graduate Fellow Research Presentation: Wednesday, April 14th, 12-1pm

Ashley Gaddy (Cultural Studies): “Reproducing Through 2020: Reproductive Liberation Strategies of Black Women Welfare Recipients in Washington, DC during Floyd, Trump and Covid-19"

Join Zoom Meeting: https://gmu.zoom.us/j/98713241588?pwd=dy83U0kvYTZsZWNYQlNrZ2dLQUczQT09

We have two exciting events scheduled for April . . .

"Reflecting on Racial Justice, Imagining Restorative Reform: Two Conversations”

April 14th, 4-6pm: "On Racial Injustice and Restorative Action: A Conversation with Spencer Crew (Robinson Professor and Interim Director, NMAAHC) and Derrick Johnson (Executive Director  of  the NAACP)” We will celebrate Prof. Crew’s contributions both as a historian at Mason and as a curator and director at the Smithsonian; he and the Pres. Johnson will engage in a wide -ranging discussion about their lives and the work of advancing racial justice both personally and institutionally (see flyer below!).

Register here:

April 23rd, 1-3:30pm: A Conversation withe the Honorable Leslie Abrams-Gardner and Mr. James Gardner on criminal justice reform. More details to follow.

Interested in a faculty writing group?

We've been approached by faculty members interested in a humanities-focused writing group for faculty. Ideally, the group would meet twice per month and would provide an opportunity to share work in progress and to engage in intellectual discussion around each member's project(s). Please email me if you would be interested in participating: [log in to unmask]

Announcements from the Community:

CHSS Spring Symposium: White Supremacy and Anti-Blackness in Global Perspective

Friday, April 9, from 4:30 to 5:45

In a dialogue across disciplines, the panelists consider how the transnational and historical vectors of white supremacy and anti-blackness have helped to shape current forms of racism and violence, while setting the cultural and political terms for black liberation globally. Rather than presenting formal papers, the panel will be in conversation with the audience about their ongoing research, emphasizing flashpoints where practices of racism, violence, and racial representation took fateful turns in the rise and reimagining of national identities and trends.

The Panelists:

Dr. LaNitra Berger is senior director of fellowships in the Office of Undergraduate Education and is affiliated with African and African American Studies and the Department of History and Art History.  An art historian who works on the intersections of art and social activism in the black and Jewish diasporas, she is the author of the recently published Irma Stern and the Racial Paradox of South African Modern Art: Audacities of Color as well as a number of publications on international education and social justice.

Dr. Christy Pichichero is a literary scholar and cultural historian of early modern France and its empire, and an Associate Professor in the Department of Modern and Classical Languages and the Department of History and Art History.  She is the author of The Military Enlightenment: War and Culture in the French Empire from Louis XIV to Napoleon, as well as a number of articles on structural racism and critical race studies in French history, and is currently working on a new book investigating intersectionality and processes of racialization in eighteenth-century Europe.

Dr. Stefan Wheelock is an Associate Professor in the Department of English, who specializes in early African-British and African-American literatures. He is the author of Barbaric Culture and Black Critique: Black Antislavery Writers, Religion, and the Slaveholding Atlantic, as well as a number of other essays, and is currently working on a book manuscript entitled "Promises Lynched: Racial Terror, Religion, and the Post-Truth Foundations of the American Identity."

Zoom info:

https://gmu.zoom.us/j/98434979783?pwd=cUdMZUhGbkQ3MmVzSTdENGo4Q1pUUT09

Meeting ID: 984 3497 9783

Passcode: 151756

Theories of Change Workshop, Carter School (see flyer below)—April 13th, 10am-12pm

Speakers Include:

Dr. James E Young, Professor UMass, Amherst

Mr. Libeskind of the Jewish Museum, Berlin, Germany

Dr. Hans Lauge Hansen, Professor, Aarhus University (AU), Denmark.

Register here:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/theories-of-change-workshop-addressing-difficult-heritage-tickets-149066960291

 I look forward to seeing you at our events!

Take care,

Alison

Alison Landsberg
Director, Center for Humanities Research (CHR)
Professor of History and Cultural Studies
George Mason University
Email: [log in to unmask]